Capt. Francis Kirtley, Jr.
Facts and Events
Francis Kirtley was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's: (9unless otherwise listed)
- Vol. 2 - 1746, October 1st--Francis Kirkly, 400 acres, Swift Run Pass, and 400 (acres) north of former; 400 acres adjoining above.
- Francis Kirtley acquired, prior to April 1748, 400 acres on a draft of North River of Shanandoe called the Long Glade joining James Anderson's and James Cathey's, (as listed in the dispositions, below).
- Vol. 2 - 1750, September 3d--Francis Kirkly, 400 (acres), on Naked Creek, above Offal's survey; 400 (acres) on the east fork of the Creek at the mountain; 400 (acres) on Middle Fork; 400 (acres) on head of said creek near Fairfax line; 400 (acres) on West Branch of Naked Creek; 400 (acres) on East Branch of Dry Run; 400 (acres) on West Branch of Dry Run; 400 (acres) on East Branch of Hawksbill, joining Martin's land; 29th December, 1765, money for rights tendered by the surveyor on behalf of Kirkly. Thomas Keneley, vid. Thos. Turk.
- Page 162.--5th April, 1755. Jeremiah Early, of Culpeper, to Francis Kirtley, Jr., £100, 200 acres, part of 400 acres patented to Ro. Martin, 20th September, 1745, on Jilgo run. Elk Run; Livery, etc. Teste: Francis Kirtley, Sr., Jeremiah Earley, Jr., Wm. and Thos. Kirtley, Jno. Earley and Thos. Staunton.
- Page 63.--8th September. 1762. John David Wilper and Anna Christina ( ) to Francis Kirkley, Jr., £35, 270 acres on Hawksbill, branch of Shanandore, conveyed to John David by Honorius Powell, 13th May, 1762. Delivered: Francis Kirtley, Esq., 27th May, 1789.
- Land Grant Survey: Page 3 - Francis Kertley, 210 acres, Elk Run. Adjoining Earley, Grubb. September 29, 1762. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 2].
- Page 131.--13th March, 1764. Jeremiah ( ) Early and Elisabeth ( ), of Culpeper, to Francis Kirtley, £80, 240 acres on Elk Run. "Beginning confirmed unto Jeremiah Early a tract containing 40 acres between Elk Run and the Hawk's Bill; corner said Jeremiah Early; corner survey of Francis Kirtley's to the beginning, thence the several courses of Martin's patent, on the south side Elk Run. being the remainder of Martin's patent the said Francis Kirtley purchased before, &c." Teste: James Kirtley, John Earley, William ( ) Bohanon, William ( ) Smith.
- Page 443.--19th August, 1767. Same (Thomas ( ) Burk and Clerey ( )) to Francis Kerkley gent., £350, two tracts, A containing 220 acres on Shanandore, oak by mouth of Dry Run, McCoumus's corner; B containg 200 acres adjoining former, deeded to Wm. Burk, 23d February, 1743. Delivered: Francis Kirtley, 20th March, 1786.
- Page 31.--2d April, 1768. William ( ) Bohannon (Buchanan) and Ruth ( ) to Francis Kirtley, £30, 200 acres, corner said Kirtley, foot of Blue Ridge. Teste: Jacob Nicholas. Henry Tamewood, John Fudge.
- Page 417.--24th May, 1774. Elisha Estis, of Caroline County, and Gabriel Long, of Culpeper, to Cap. Francis Kirtley, Sr. Page 418.--Teste: William, John and Francis Kirtley, William Kirtley, Jr.. Thomas Fortson. Page 421.--Delivered to William Alexander, February, 1778.
- Page 462.--24th May, 1774. Elisha Estis, of Caroline County, and Gabriel Long, of Culpeper County, to Cap. Francis Kirtley, Sr. Teste: William, William, Jr., John, Francis Kirtley, Thos. Fortson. First proved by two witnesses and certified, 15th November, 1774; 20th February, 1787, proof compleated, but court refused to order record unntil tax of 3 shillings per 100 acres was paid, which was refused, and then on 19th June, 1787 the tax being paid, ordered recorded.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 482.--21st April, 1748. £20. Francis Kirkley, of Orange County, to Jno. Anderson, farmer, 400 acres on a draft of North River of Shanandoe called the Long Glade joining James Anderson's and James Cathey's Teste: Silas Hart, John Anderson, Geo. Anderson, James Anderson, Francis Kirkley. Acknowledged, 18th May, 1748.
- Page 383.--22d August, 1754. Francis Kirkley (mark R and P) to Henry Null £55. 345 acres by patent, dated 6th December, 1753, on Naked Creek; corner Charles Crossen. Delivered to N. Null, 10th September, 1755.
- Page 561.--__ March, 1764. Francis Kirtley and Elisabeth to Jacob Peters, £40, 270 acres on head branches of Elk Run at the foot of the Blue Ridge; corner to Early's land.
- Page 260.--20th June, 1769. Francis Kirtley and Elizabeth to Boston (Bostian) Ostler (Osier), £20, 70 acres between Stony and Dry Run; corner Jacob Runkle's land. Delivered: Bosten Osier, 30th August, 1771.
- Page 182.--4th January, 1770. Francis Kirtley and Elizabeth to John Futch, £50, 210 acres, lower fork of Elk Run in a line of Earley's land. Teste: Jacob Bear, Conrad Futch, David Magert. Delivered: John Futch, November, 1776.
Will of Francis Kirtley
- Page 283.--4th August, 1774. Francis Kirtley's will--To wife, Elizabeth Kirtley, the tract his youngest son is to have; to son, Francis, tract at foot of the mountains where testator formerly lived, 1,100 acres, and the place Thos. Berry now lives on, and 5 negroes; to son, John Kirtley, 3 tracts in Orange County called, viz: Bryan's Trackt, Golding's Trackt, and Maddey's 600 acres, and also tract called the Grass Thicket in Augusta and the land on Nacked Creek; also testator's part of the land where Ruben Roach lives, and 5 negroes; to daughter, Elizabeth Kirtley, land bought of Eastise's estate called Pinkey's Old Mill Place; to son, Honorius Powell Kirtley, infant, land on Buns Run, being part of land testator lives on; to son, Sinkle Kirtley, other part of the land on Buns Run. (Fifteen negroes bequeathed besides those above.) Brother William Kirtley, if living, to make division. Executors, wife Elizabeth, son Francis Kirtley, son John Kirtley. Teste: William Kirtley, John Caurfey, Jane Crawford. Proved, 16th November, 1774, by the witnesses. Elizabeth refused to execute and renounced the provisions of the will. Francis Kirtley qualified with Thomas Lewis, Daniel Smith.
- Page 335.--21st March, 1775. Recorded. Francis Kirtley's appraisement by Wm. Nalle, Martin Nalle, Jr., John Seller.
Records of Francis Kirtley in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's: (unless otherwise listed)
- Page 144.--20th February, 1750-51. Sale of personalty of Mathias Shaw, by James Nicholas, executor--Recorded 18th May, 1762, viz: Sold to Jno. Craig, Wm. Frazier, Jas. Downey, Jno. Love, David Nelson, Henry Dooley, William Craig, Bernard Man, Joseph Wait, Saml. Muncy, Joseph Muncy, Casper Faught, Owen Reed, Joseph Wait, Jacob Harmon, Jno. Stevenson, Jacob Nicholas, Peter Herman, James Beard, Cathrine Pence, Michael Cam, William Williams. 5th May, 1755--2d sale, to viz: Jacob Nicholas, Henry Dooley, David Nelson, Peter Miller, Conrad Kimsley, Catrine Shawp (3 books), Michael Cam, Francis Kirtley, Jno. Davison, Margaret Shawp, Jno. Davis, Charles Man, Joseph Cravens, Jno. Couch, Robt. Craig, Jacob Courtsious, Simon Powell, Geo. Cam, Henry Long, Evan Evans, Conrad Backfish, Patrick Wilson, Jno. Hetrick, Nicholas Brock, George, Robert, and widow Scott. By sundries received of the estate of the deceased Jacob Pence.
- Page 787.--8th August, 1750. Robert Martin, of St. Thomas Parrish, Orange Co., and Ann, to Jeremiah Early, of St. Thomas Parrish, Culpeper Co., Gilgo Run, Hawkbill, 400 acres patented to Robert, 20th September, 1745. Delivered: Francis Kirkley, February, 1755. Teste: Johnny Scott, Haniry Trover (?), Richard Martin.
- Page 329.--29th July, 1754. Timothy Crosthwait, of Parish St. Thomas in County Orange, to Jeremiah Early, in Parish of Bramfield and County of Culpeper £25, 400 acres on Elk Run of Shanando. Livery of seisin. Teste: Francis Kirtley, Jeremiah Early (Jr.), John Early, Thos. Kirtley, Thos. Stanton. Delivered to Francis Kirkey, February, 1755.
- Page 177.--21st August, 1756. John Bingaman's appraisement, by Jacob Miller, Hance Magot, Francis Kirtley.
- Page 114.--17th February, 1762. Sebastian Hover's bond (with Francis Kirtley), as administrator of Michael Ryan.
- Page 339.--13th May, 1762. Honorius Powell and Jannet, of Orange County, to John David Wilper. £35. 270 acres on Hawk's Bill, a branch of Shanandore, patented to Honorius, 15th December, 1757. Teste: James and Francis Kirtley, Frances Slaughter. Delivered: Francis Kirtley, Esq., of Rockingham, 27th May, 1789.
- Vol. 2 - Vol 2: pg 171-2 - Entries by right of military service under proclamation of 1763, viz: 1,700 acres for William Cromwell, 10th May, 1776; 940 acres for Francis Kirtley; 1,500 acres for Henry Gains; 1,000 acres for Peter Hog; 1,000 acres for Charles Scott; 1,000 acres for James Walker, John Posey, Goodrich Crump, Jesse Scott, Marshall Pratt, John Poe, Robert Scott, Hugh Stephenson, Thomas Rutherford. (These records are certified from Rockingham.) Deed dated 2d September, 1805, by Hugh Phelps and Hannah of Wood County, to Thomas Creel, 200 acres on Little Kenawha, part of tract patented to Mark Harden and conveyed by him to Hugh Phelps 12th July, 1805. Recorded in Wood County, 2d September, 1805, Patented, 1785, to John Gibson, 1,000 acres by survey 1783, in Monongalia. Patent 1801 to Hugh Phelps, assignee of John Jackson, 1,000 acres in Harrison County. Ditto 1798, to Hugh Phelps, 391-3/4 acres in Harrison County; ditto 1802, to Valentine Cooper, 133 acres in Wood County; ditto 1808, to John Stokeley, 1,500 acres in Wood County; ditto 1787, to Paul Armstrong, 255 acres in Harrison County; ditto 1786, to Charles Wickliff, 400 acres in Monongalia. Patent 1796, to Wm. McCleery, 1,000 acres in Harrison County. Patent, 1808, to John Stokeley, 750 acres in Wood County.
- Page 536.--9th March, 1764. Honorias Powell and Jannet, of Orange County, to William Buchanan, of the County aforesaid, £15 (paid by Wm. Bohannon), 200 acres; corner Cap. Francis Kertley's. Teste: Francis Kirtley, John Early, Wm. ( ) Smith. Delivered: Francis Kirtley, April, 1767.
- Page 23.--27th September, 1767. William Russell, of Culpeper, to Francis Kirtley, power of attorney to convey tract adjoining Margaret Perkey, Robert Hooks and John Stinson, being part of 5,000 acres patented to Jacob Stover. Teste: Michael Coger, Wm. Bohannon, Robert Eastham, Jr.
- Page 27.--17th November, 1767. William Russell, late of Culpeper County, by Francis Kirkley to John Stevenson, yeoman, £32.10, 700 acres on Mill Creek, part of Stover's 5,000 acres, part whereof being lapsed and forfeited was granted to William Russell, Gent., father of said William Russell and contains 250 acres whereon John now lives as by survey made by Thomas Lewis, crossing Hooks' Branch; corner Perkey's land, Weaver's line; another tract of Perkey's; corner Francisco's land. Delivered: John Stevenson, October, 1769.
- Page 22.--16th November, 1767. John Canterberry to Francis Kirtley, 5 shillings 9/, a slave that the said Kirtley bought of Jeremiah Brent that married my sister Margaret. Teste: William ( ) Buchanan, Michael Coger.
- Page 293.--16th March, 1770. Nicholas Null's estate sold at vendue--To Abram Wright, Augustine Price, Henry Null, Honekil Hoofman, Paushton Ostler, Gill Price, Ponshton Hostler, John Ferrel (Terril), Hauverstine Price, Patrick Dickson, George Null, William McBush, Peter Brinninger, Windle Weaver, Francis Kirtley, Wm. Munger, Alvenious Bowyer, Samuel Muncey, Peter Bunginger, Thos. Birk, Philip Williams, Henry Bingaman. Cash from Charles Fry, John Couch. By Windle Sivers' bond, from Archibald Hughston. By Charles Rush's note, Nicholas Shirley.
- Will of Simon Powell (excerpt): To my children Elizabeth Jenat Powell and Salley Powell all my estate to be equally divided. In case either should die without issue, the whole estate to the survivor. If both of my children should die without issue, unto Francis Kirtley Junr. one Negro boy Wiggan and unto the said Francis Kirtley Junr. and the rest of the children of my sister Eliza Kirtley all the remainder of my estate. [Source: Orange County, Virginia Will Book 2, 1744-1778, Dorman, pg. 90-91]. (Note: record proves that Elizabeth Powell married Francis Kirtley),
- ↑ Yates Publishing. U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900. (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004
Source Media Type: Ancestry.com), Source number: 1231.000; Source type: Electronic Database; Number of Pages: 1; Submitter Co, Primary quality.