Facts and Events
David Doak was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
- Some sources claim that this David Doak married Rachel Gibb, but the marriage record appears to have been mis-transcribed, and it was David Doan that married Rachel Gibb on 5 April 1787 in Montgomery County, Virginia [Source: "A Brief of Wills and Marriages in Montgomery and Fincastle Counties, Virginia, 1733-1831”, compiled by Anne Lowry Worrell, pg. 15]. This David Doak married Mary Hannah,
David Doak b abt 1752, Augusta County,VA. w.p. 7 Jun 1827, Wythe Co, VA. marr Mary Hannah 1 Jun 1773, Guilford Count, NC.
- Rachel b 1774, Guilford Co NC.
- Mary b 26 Oct 1779, Wythe Co VA, marr Adam Walker Jr. 11 Mar 1813, Wythe County, VA. Died 28 Jul 1842, prob Pike County, MO.
- John b 1786, Wythe County, VA, marr Lydia Thompson, abt 1811, Wythe County, VA. She was the dau of William Thompson d 1798, Tazewell Co VA, & Lydia Graham, d 12 Oct 1830, Thompson's Valley, Tazewell Co VA. John and Lydia died after 1850. Listed in the 1850 Census record of Pike County, IL.
- David Doak b abt 1792, Wythe Co VA, m Nancy Best 11 Feb 1812, prob Wythe Co VA.
- Samuel b 1792, prob Wythe Co, VA.
Notes: George Hickox-deceased and Judy B. Anderson, Roy, UT. Pike County IL and Pike County MO are just across the Mississippi River from each other. John and Lydia Doak immigrated to Pike County, IL with family abt 1833 from Campbell County, TN.
From Genforum.com post:
Information from "Arief of Wills and Marriages in Montgomery and Fincastle Counties, VA, 1733-1831" published by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. shows
DOAN, David and Rachel Gibb married by Richard Whit
April 5, 1787 followed by
DOAK, David and Rachel Gibb, marriage record same as the
above April 5 1787
DOAN, Joseph and Eliza Carper. Sam'l Shields, sur. Mar. by J.G. Cecil -June 12, 1826
Will probated for David DOAK Oct 7, 1787, wife Mary and son, David
Anyone familiar with possibility of DOAN/DOAK link due to old handwritten records, or other possible reason?
Any help appreciated. Dorothy TNGEN@@aol.com
- Ancestry.com/Ancestry Family Trees: Public Members Trees.
DAVID Doak (ii) He was married in 1773 to Mary Hanna, an older sister of Margaret, who would marry his brother Alexander. Their mother, Martha, was "reputed" to have been née Doak - it is an intriguing puzzle as to whether she was a daughter of John Doak of North Carolina, which seems more likely, or of David (i). Two of David (ii)'s sons married the Thompson sisters, Lydia and Rachel. John spent some time in Campbell County, Tennessee, before moving on to Pike County, Missouri and then to Pike County, Illinois. In 1850, John's age is given on the census as 69. Robert, however, died in Tazewell County, Virginia, in 1818 and his widow Rachel appears on the 1820 census as a head of household with children..
Help fund new features!