Facts and Events
Daniel Callahan was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 98.--20th November, 1762. Same to Daniel Callachan, £40, 100 acres, part of same; cor. to above, a sasifrage by Dry River. Delivered: as above.
- Page 312.--15th February, 1763. William Chesnutt, farmer, to Daniel Callachan, £10, 40 acres as above. Delivered: Gawin Hamilton, March, 1774. (Note: William Chesnut was the son-in-law of Daniel Callahan).
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- [abt. 1773] - Vol 3, pg 537 - Page 185.--Daniel ( ) Calaihan to Charles Calaihan, on Dry River near land Daniel lives on.
- Vol 2, pg 364 - 1779--March 22d, Administration of Daniel Callahan granted son Charles.
- Vol 2, pg 365 - 1779--April 27th, … Wm. Chesnutt receives proportional part of estate of Daniel Callahan for his four children in right of their mother Catherine, daughter of said Callahan, and late wife of said Chesnutt.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol 3, pg 392 - Page 347.--18th August, 1756. Henry Smith and Amie (Ernie) ( ) to John Poage, £45, 135 acres on Howell Branch patented to Henry, 3d November, 1760, cor. Abraham Smith. Teste: Sampson Archer, Daniel ( ) Callachan.
- Vol 3, pg 392 - Page 95.--20th November, 1762. Nicholas Green, of Culpeper, to Wm. Chesnut, £132, 400 acres, part of 1700 acres granted to Robert Green, deceased, 15th March, 1744, on head branches of Muddy Creek, Daniel Callacahn's Meadow. Delivered: Gawin Hamilton, March Court, 1774.
- Vol 3, pg 400 - Page 310.--15th February, 1763. William Chesnut, farmer, to Henry Henry, £5, 80 acres on Muddy Creek, a branch of the North River of Shanandoe, part of 400 acres on which Chesnut now lives. Daniel Callachan's land on Green's old line; line of Wood's land. Delivered: Andrew Johnston by your order, March, 1770.
- Page 312.--15th February, 1763. William Chesnutt, farmer, to Daniel Callachan, £10, 40 acres as above. Delivered: Gawin Hamilton, March, 177
- Vol 3, pg 444 - Page 66.--22d August, 1766. Nicholas Green, of Culpeper, to James, Davidson, £154.10, 400 acres on the Dry River, part of 1700 acres patented to James Wood and Robert Green, joining Daniel Callachan's and Wm. Chesnut's lands.
- 1775 - Vol 3, pg 543, Page 167.--25th September, 1775, Page 170.--The land said Callahan now lives on, patented to Daniel Callahan.
Information on Daniel Callahan
Name: Daniel Callihan
Name: Daniel Callaghan 1
Birth: 1705 in Cork, Ireland 1
Death: ABT FEB 1779 in Rockingham County, Virginia 2
Death: 1779 in Highland County, Virginia 1
Marriage 1 Spouse Unknown
- Charles Callihan b: 1736
- Dennis Callihan
- Catherine Callihan
Marriage 2 Mary Barry b: in Donnalee, Ireland
Title: Pat Callihan.FTW
Author: Pat Callihan
Text: Date of Import: Mar 8, 2003
Title: History of the Stuart Family
Author: William Stuart
Publication: by Essie W. Stuart
Note: Library of West Virginia - copy at Bath County Historical Society
Page: p 34
Help fund new features!