- H. Charles Cressonbef 1725 -
- W. Christina (add)
m. bef. 1762
- H. Charles Cressonbef 1725 -
- W. Martha (add)
m. bef. 1765
Facts and Events
||Phillip Charles Crosson
||to Christina (add)
||to Martha (add)
Charles Cresson (Crosson) was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Charles Cresson acquired at least 580 acres of land on "Naked Creek" on the Shenandoah River, prior to November 1746, as listed in the records below:
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 215.--12th May, 1762. Charles Crosson and Christina (signed Corous, Croson) to Jacob Mayer, £70, 380 acres on east side of Shanadore on Naked Creek. Teste: Augustin ( ) Price. Henery ( ) Price, Thomas Burk. Delivered: Jacob Maver, March, 1770.
- Page 450.--28th October, 1765. Charles Crosson and Martha to William Harshman, £200, 230 acres on Shanandore River. Teste: Conrad Bloss. Wm. Owler, Michael Coker (Coger).
About Charles Cresson (Crosson)
Based upon records in Augusta County, Charles Cresson migrated from Tulpehocan Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania prior to 1746 and obtained land on Naked Creek, on the North Branch of the Shenandoah River. Although the records of his acquisition do not appear either in Augusta or Orange County, Virginia records, the records of the sales of his land are listed above. Based upon those records, he appears to have been married twice; first to a Christina (who appears to have died prior to 1765); second to a Martha (both of their surnames unknown). Charles MAY have been related to Abraham Cresson (possible sibling?), who also migrated to Augusta County by about 1746, and then to Surry County, North Carolina by 1755. More research is necessary to prove any relationship.
Records of Charles Cresson (Crosson) in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- 1746, November 14th--Wm. Offal, 400 acres near John Rodgers, on Crooked Run, South River; 400 acres near Chas. Crosson's, on Naked Creek; 400 acres on Naked Creek; 400 acres, Fairfax line. Timber Ridge and Holdman's Creek.
- Vol. 1 - 1750 - ORIGINAL PETITIONS AND PAPERS FILED IN THE COUNTY COURT. - List of tithables liable to work on road from Sherrendo River to top of Blue Ridge at Swift Run Gap. Petition of Hance Magard (Magot). James Urry, William Burk, Stephen Hansburger, Samuel Thornbill, John Fought, John Furniss, Little Partrick, Charles Cross, George Wanol, Jacob Miller, Henry Lung, Adam Miller, Jacob Coger.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 20, 1752. - (247) James Urrey, Steven Hans Burger, John Fought, Wm. Burk, Saml. Thornhill, John Fornice, Little Patrick, Jacob Miller and son, Adam Miller and son, Charles Cross, Henry Lung, Jacob Coger, George Warrell-to be added to Hans Magart's road hands on road from Shanando River to top Blue Ridge.
- Page 383.--22d August, 1754. Francis Kirkley (mark R and P) to Henry Null £55. 345 acres by patent, dated 6th December, 1753, on Naked Creek; corner Charles Crossen. Delivered to N. Null, 10th September, 1755.
- Vol. 2 - Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1756 (A). - Null vs. Crossum.--Philip Charles Crossum, of Township of Tulpehocan, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Bond to Nicholas Deack, of same place, 16th May, 1742.
Help fund new features!