Facts and Events
Benjamin Cave was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Orange County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 234-35. 23 Sept. 1742. Abraham Bletsoe and Sarah his wife of Orange County to Benjamin Cave of same. Morgage to secure £100 current money. 600 acres on the north (side) the Rapadan River, part of a patent to Bledsoe and Cave 28 Sept. 1728... on the river dividing line to Bledsoe and Thomas Watts... (signed) Abraham (A B) Bledsoe, Sarah (S) Bledsoe. Wit: Benja. Powell, Mumford Stevens, Wm. Bledsoe. 23 Sept. 1742. Acknowledged by Abraham Bledsoe and Sarah his wife. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 8, Dorman, pg. 77].
Disposition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 114-16. 23 Feb. 1742 . Benjamin Cave of Orange County to George Bruce of same and Eliza. his wife and the heirs of her body. For £5 current money. 62 acres in the fork of Rappadanne River... Black Wallnut Branch between Cave's and Bruce's... (signed) Benja. Cave. Wit: John Noel, Darby (Q) Quin, Joseph (I) Emmons, Richd. Quin. 24 Feb. 1742  Acknowledged by Benja. Cave. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 7, Dorman, pg. 45].
- Pages 71-74. Indenture between Benjamin Cave, Orange County, Gent., and Joseph Eve of same... for five shillings.. sells 200 acres in the fork of the Rapidann River in county of Orange.. corner to Bland Ballard.. John Wisdom.. Charles Blunt.. Darby Queen.. to Benja. Cave.... (signed) Benjamin Cave (seal). No witnesses. Amount of ₤20 paid.. release acknowledged 27 June 1745. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 37].
Will of Benjamin Cave
- Pages 330-32. Will of Benjamin Cave of the County of Orange, dated 26 June 1762.
- All my houses and plantation whereon I now live to my dear and loving wife Hannah Cave during her life and after her decd. to my son Wm. Cave.
- Unto my son John Cave in Culpeper County 125 acres in the said county to be laid of[f] from the river to the back of an equal width.
- Unto my son Benjamin Cave Junr. 200 acres of the said tract in Culpeper County to be laid of[f] it at the uper end.
- Unto my son David Cave the remaining part of my land in the said county, 178 acres.
- Unto my son William Cave my right of a lease in this county during the said term.
- Unto my wife Hannah Cave five Negroes Jack, Moll, Cate, Dinah and Preston during her life and after her decd. to be equally divided among my four sons Benjamin, Willaim, David and Richd. Cave, and my four daughters Eliza. Johnson, Ann Cavender, Sarah and Hannah Cave.
- Unto my son Benja. Cave one Negro fellow Parker.
- Unto my son William Cave two Negroes Toby and Sam.
- Unto my son David Cave two Negroes Tom and Milley.
- Unto my son Richd. Cave three Negroes, one boy Harry, Phillis a wench and boy Bob.
- Unto my daughter Sarah Cave three Negroes, a wench Lucy, a boy Sam and a girl Jenny.
- Unto my daughter Hannah Cave four Negroes Juda, Pompy, James and George.
- Unto my daughter Elizabeth Johnson two Negroes, a wench Juda and boy Jack.
- Unto my daughter Ann Cavender one Negro wench Violet.
- Unto my son William Cave one feather bed and furniture.
- Unto my son David Cave one feather bed and furniture.
- Unto my daughter Sarah Cave one bed and furniture.
- Unto my son David Cave one young horse Prince.
- Unto my son John Cave one large square table.
- Unto my daughter Hannah Cave one feather bed and furniture.
- Unto my son Richd. Cave one feather bed and furniture.
- The other part of my estate to my loving wife to dispose of as she shall think proper.
- My loving wife Hannah Cave and my two sons John Cave and Ben Cave executors and executrix.
- (signed) Benja. Cave.
- Wit: John Crittenden Webb, John Bledsoe, Anthony Golson.
- 26 Aug. 1762. Presented into Court by Benjamin Cave. Proved by John Crittenden Webb and John Bledsoe.
- 25 Nov. 1762 Ben. Cave, giving security with Eras. Taylor, Thos. Jameson and Thos. Barbour, acknowledge bond. [Orange County Virginia Will Book 2, Dorman, pg. 67].
- Pages 337-38. Benjamin Cave. Inventory. Made pursuant to order of 25 Nov. 1762. Appraisers sworn before Thomas Scott, Gent. Total valuation £469.11.0, including nine Negroes valued at £425. (signed) Thomas Barbour, Richard Quinn, John Buford. 23 Dec. 1762. Returned. [Orange County Virginia Will Book 2, Dorman, pg. 68].
Records of Benjamin Cave in Orange County, VA
- Page 1. Bond of Benjamin Cave unto Our Soverign Lord King George the Second. For £1,000 sterl. 21 Jan. 1734 . Securities, Thomas Chew and James Barber. Cave is by virtue of a commission from William Gooch, Esqr., His Majesty's Lieutenant Governor and Commander in Chief of the Colony and Dominion of Virginia dated 3 January appointed Sheriff of the County of Orange. (signed) Benja. Cave, Thos. Chew, Jams. Barbour. Wit: Henry Willis, J. Wood. 21 Jan. 1734 . Acknowledged. [Orange County Deed Book 1, Dorman, pg. 1].
- Anthony Goodson vs. Benjamin Cave Gent., Sheriff of Orange County. - On 16 May 1735 the plaintiff recovered against William Henderson £3.13.11½ and 90 pounds of tobacco damages sustained by tresspass upon the case. Cave arrested Henderson in execution and then permitted him to go at large. Summons to Benjamin Cave Gent., 16 June , executed 7 July 1736 by Thos. Chew, Coroner. Judgement. [Orange County, Virginia Judgements, 1736, Dorman, pg. 86].
Records of Benjamin Cave in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 2.--Back of book reversed. Henry Downs to John McKearney, 20th August, 1748, conveyed to Thos. Chew, George Taylor, Benj. Cave, Justices of Orange, to take privy examination of Jane, wife of Henry, 25th May, 1749. Executed 15th August, 1749. See supra, p. 69
Information on Benjamin Cave
Note: Benjamin Cave has been listed in some records as being born "abt. 1680", but this would have made him more than 65 years old at the birth of his youngest child, and 30 years older than his wife, which is somewhat questionable. I have placed his birthdate as "est. 1696-1706", which is probably closer to reality.
From Familytreemaker submission:
3 Hannah Bledsoe b: 1710 in Northumberland, Virginia d: 1769 in Orange County, Virginia
- ....... +Benjamin Cave b: 1680 (??) m: Abt. 1727 d: 1762 in Orange, Virginia
- ....... 4 Elizabeth Cave b: 1728 in Gordonsville, Orange, Virginia d: 1785 in Virginia
- .......... +William Johnson b: 1714 in Virginia m: 1742 in Orange County, Virginia d: 1765 in Orange County, Virginia
- .......... 5  Robert Johnson b: July 17, 1745 d: October 15, 1815 in Warsaw, Gallatin, Kentucky
- ............. +Jemima Suggett d: Unknown
- .......... *2nd Wife of  Robert Johnson:
- ............. + Jemima Bledsoe b: 1798 m: March 19, 1815 in Kentucky d: Unknown
- .......... 5 Nancy Johnson b: March 10, 1746/47 in Orange County, Virginia d: 1810 in Scott County, Kentucky
- .......... 5 Hannah Johnson b: 1749 in Orange County, Virginia d: Abt. 1810 in Scott County, Kentucky
- .......... 5 Benjamin Johnson b: May 08, 1751 in Orange County, Virginia d: 1801 in "Jaqueline Hall", Madison Co., Virginia
- .......... 5 Mildred Johnson b: 1753 in Orange County, Virginia d: 1785 in Orange County, Virginia
- .......... 5 Elizabeth Johnson b: January 07, 1757 in Orange County, Virginia d: 1832 in Barboursville, Kentucky
- .......... 5 Cave Johnson b: November 15, 1760 in Orange County, Virginia d: January 19, 1850 in North Bend, Boone, Kentucky
- ............. +Elizabeth Craig b: 1756 m: February 06, 1784 in Woodford Co.,Kentucky d: Unknown
- .......... 5 Sally Johnson b: 1762 in Orange County, Virginia d: 1785 in Bourbon County, Kentucky
- .......... 5 Valentine Johnson b: 1765 in Orange County, Virginia d: 1848 in Orange County, Virginia
- ....... 4 John Cave b: February 22, 1730/31 d: 1810
- .......... +Mildred Bell d: Unknown
- ....... 4 Nancy Ann Cave b: 1734 d: 1808
- .......... +Philemon Kavanaugh b: 1732 d: 1764
- ....... *2nd Husband of Nancy Ann Cave:
- .......... +William Strother d: 1818
- ....... 4 Benjamin Cave b: December 20, 1735 d: 1832
- .......... +Elizabeth Belfield b: 1738 d: 1810
- ....... 4 William Cave b: 1738 d: 1805
- .......... +Mary Mallory b: 1742 d: Unknown
- ....... *2nd Wife of William Cave:
- .......... +Susannah Bartlett d: Unknown
- ....... *3rd Wife of William Cave:
- .......... +Susannah Mosby d: Unknown
- ....... 4 David Cave b: 1742 d: 1792
- ....... 4 Sarah Cave b: 1745 d: Unknown
- .......... +John Gully d: Unknown
- ....... 4 Hannah Cave b: 1748 d: 1817
- .......... +Uriel Mallory b: 1738 d: 1824
- ....... 4 Richard Cave b: 1750 d: 1816 in Kentucky
- .......... +Elizabeth Craig b: Abt. 1750 d: 1828
Help fund new features!