Facts and Events
Asabel Hodge was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Augusta County, VA:
- Asabel Hodge received land from his father, John Hodge's estate that John had received in a patent from Lord Fairfax, prior to 16 August 1751, (as listed in the records below).
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 409.--16th August, 1751. Asabel Hodge and Jane, to William Carryl, 176 acres. From Fairfax to John Hodgh late of Augusta, deceased, and Asabel is eldest son and heir; Crown lands, Northern Neck Grants, Smith's Creek. Teste: Thomas Bragg, Saml. Newman, Thos. Bragg.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - ORIGINAL PETITIONS AND PAPERS FILED IN THE COUNTY COURT. 1750. - Elizabeth Hedge asks that Asobel Hedge, eldest son, qualify as administrator to her husband, John Hedge, deceased, 9th February, 1750-51.
- Page 289.--26th February, 1750. Asabel Hodge's bond as administrator of John Hodge.
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY 26, 1750. - (516) Elisabeth, relict of Asabel [sic] Hodge, refuses to admr. (Note: this appears to be an error, as Elizabeth was Asabel's mother and Asabel was named Administrator of his father John's estate, as the records above state).
- Page 424.--2d February, 1752. Elizabeth Hodge's will--(Executors live at great distance, Gabriel Jones). Lands now in law with Asahel Hodge to be recovered; two youngest sons, Jonathan and Jacob; children, David (eldest); Elizabeth, Ruemia, Rachel, Hannah; eldest son, David, to be apprenticed to Thos. Rees, blacksmith; second son, Jonathan, to be apprenticed to Andrew Bird to learn trade of weaver; youngest son, Jacob, to be bound to Samuel Newman to do laboring work; daughter, Rachel, to be bound to Momas Looker; daughter, Hannah, to be bound to Wm. Draper. Teste: Wm. Draper, Edward Davis, Andrew Bird, Samuel Newman. Proved, 17th June, 1752, by witnesses, except Davis. Gabriel Jones refuses to execute, and administration granted Peter Scholl and Samuel Newman, with surety Thomas Looker.
- Vol. 1 - JUNE 20, 1752. - (295) Asabel Hodge has removed out of this County.