Facts and Events
Andrew Russell was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Advisory on Andrew Russell
NOTE: there is conflicting information on this family, more research is necessary!
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Andrew Russell's land (Beverley Manor NE, 496 acres, 1742) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 261-64. 23-24 Sept. 1741. William Beverley, Esq., of Essex County to Andrew Russell of Orange County. Lease and release; for ₤13 current money. 496 acres on the west side of the blue ridge of mountains, part of Beverley Mannor... William Hutchinson's corner... Christies's Creek... crossing the creek... (signed) W. Beverley. Wit: John Lewis, John Bohannan, Arthur Hamilton. 25 Sept. 1741. Acknowledged by Wm. Beverley, Esq. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 6, Dorman, pg. 33].
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 102.--20th November, 1760. Robert McClenachan and Sarah to William and Andrew Russell, £60, 200 acres in Beverley Manor bought by Robert from John Miller, 3d January, 1750, and purchased by Miller from Robt. Black; corner to land formerly William Skellern's, Manor line to wm. Skellern's corner. Delivered: Andrew Russell, August, 1762.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 335.--18th May, 1762. Andrew Russell and Florence ( ) to Joshua Russell, their son, £5, 150 acres on Christian's Creek in Beverley Manor, part of 496 acres conveyed by Beverley to Andrew. 24th September, 1741; John Henderson's line. Delivered: Joshua Russell, March, 1767.
(NOTE: Need additional work on this family, was Andrew married twice?)
- Page 633.--20th July, 1764. Andrew Russell, Sr., to Andrew Russell, Jr., his son, £10, 150 acres in Beverley Manor on Christian's Creek, part of 496 acres whereon said Russell now lives. Teste: Alex. McDonnall. Delivered: Andrew Russell, March Court, 1767.
Estate Records of Andrew Russell
The following record establishes that Andrew Russell, Sr. died prior to 20 November 1780:
- Page 337.--20th November, 1780. Joshua Russell, son and heir of Andrew Russell, Sr., deceased, to Robert Russell. Teste: Samuel and James Frazer.
Records of Andrew Russell in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- 1738 SURVEY: 8 Oct, for Randal Mc Donnald, corner Andrew Russell, ye said Russell's line bare S, 60 E. ------, Maxwell's Branch. ["Hume's Old Field Book", Chalkley's Scotch-Irish in Virginia, Vol. 2, p. 375].
- 24 July 1740 - Indenture in which William Beverley, Gent., of the County of Essex sells to RANDLES (sic) MCDONNALD (sic) OF THE COUNTY OF ORANGE - for 4 pds 7 shillings 4 pence - a tract of land containing 141 acres (more or less) in the County of Orange and is part of Beverley Manor adjoining land of Andrew Russell on branches of Christies Creek- Maxwells Branch - etc., - Witnesses: Moses Thompson - William Skillern - John Lewis - Rec same date. [Orange County, VA, DB4-159. In the margin, the clerk wrote "and delivered to Alexander McDonald, July 3, 1767].
- Page 61.--20th November, 1750. Wm. Hutchison and Ann to Wm. Henderson, 200 acres where grantor lives, Christian's Creek; Andrew Russell's line; Ann, wife of Wm. Hutchison. Teste: Charles Dalhouse, Thos. Scott, John Hutchison.
- Page 158.--12th August, 1756. John Johnston's appraisement, by Andrew Russell, Wm. Johnson, John Hutchison, Jr.
- Page 106.--21st March, 1759. Same to same (Wm. Henderson and Susanna ( ) to Jno. Henderson), £20, 200 acres, part of a tract surveyed for William Hutchinson on Christian's Creek; line of Andrew Russell.
- Page 353.--20th May, 1761. John Kerr and Lucie ( ) to John Allison, £2, 10 acres on east side Shanandoe betwixt land of said Ker and Allison, part of 400 acres; Andrew Ker's line. Teste: Andrew Russell, Edward Rutledge, William Ker. Delivered: John Allison, February, 1768.
- Page 156.--6th February, 1762.--James Litster's estate sold to, viz. James Ward, Geo. Wilson, Mathew Reed, Wm. Cabeen, Chas. Donnally, Ro. Armstrong, Edward Long, Pat. Cunningham, Andw. Greer, Thos. Fulton, Margt. Cameron, Jno. Stewart, Ro. Reed, Geo. Francisco, David Bell, Wm. Poage, Wm. Crow, Luke Bowyer, Abraham Thornton. Wm. Henderson, Jno. Buchanan, Thos. O'Neal, Alex. Gibson, Alex. Wright, Jno. Francis, James Simpson, Geo. Weaver, Philip Helveston, Jno. King, Geo. Anderson, Rev. Mr. Craige, Andw. Russell, Saml. Caldwell, Joseph Roberts, Jno. Gregory, Jno. Lucas, Mathew Clark, Jno. Anderson, Jr., James Robinson, Jacob Parsinger, Saml. Moore, Christopher Vinyard, Thos. Patterson, the Widow Bell, Ralph Gorrell, Jos. Russell, James Gilmore, Simon Robertson, James Hughes.
- Page 135.--11th April, 1762. Andrew Duncan's will--To wife, Jennet, negro slaves; to 5 daughters, Elizth., Mary, Jennet, Jean, Florence; to brother's son, James Duncan; to son, Andrew, infant, testator's home plantation. Executors, John Moore, Joseph Culton. Teste: John McNutt, Hugh Wardlaw, David Sayers. 18th May, 1762, proved, by Davis Sayers, John McNutt. Executors refuse to execute. Administration granted Jennet Duncan, the widow, who qualifies (her mark), with Andw. Russell, John Moore.
- Page 186.--18th August, 1762. Joseph McClolon's appraisement, by Thomas Thompson, Jno. Gray, Andw. Russell, presented and recorded.
- Page 12.--20th May, 1767. Mathew Harper's bond (with Andrew Russell, Wm. Jameson) as administrator of Michael Harper.
- Page 71.--24th November, 1767. James Hughes' estate settlement, recorded--Paid for making cakes for funeral. 1767, February 11th, by received from Saml. Hughes; by received from Andrew Russell, Sr. March 30th, by received from Wm. Dunlap, Jr. March 30th, by received from John Verner. July 25th, by received from Andrew Russell, Jr. July 27th, by balance for nursing a child. July 29th, by Wm. Howard's account; by James Colton's account. September 28th, by Jeremiah Edward's account. Oct. 7th, by remainder Saml. Hughens' bill. Bills due the estate that are doubtful: John Craney's, James Hill's, John Lindsey's, Jno. McNulty's, Hector McNeil's, Robt. Adair's, Benj. Woods, Richd. Dunn, Saml. Cloyd, Jno. Lucases, James Shaw's.
- Page 513.--16th May, 1768. Alexander McDonald and Margaret ( ) and Jean ( ) McClelland, his mother, to John Ramsey, £100, 141 acres in Beverley Manor; corner Andrew Russell on branches of Christie's Creek; oak on Maxwell's branch; Andrew Russell's line. Teste: Hugh Ross, Andrew Russell. Delivered: William Ramsey, 5th October, 1772.
- Page 381.--37th November, 1770. William Henderson's estate appraised by Walter Davis, Thomas Rutledge, Alex. Long--Bonds of Lazarus Inman, Sith Rodgers, Andrew Russell, Sr. and Jr.
- Page 231.--10th August, 1775. Isaac White's will--To wife, Jane, mare bought of Lewis Baker; to sons, viz: David, Isaac, James and Gordon White, if any of them die in infancy; to daughters, Jane, Isabella, Margret, if any die infants; son, Gordon, and daughters, Isabella and Margret, be schooled; to daughters already married, viz: Mary Young, Elizabeth, and Sarah Rodgers. Executors, James Steele, John Young. Teste: Andrew Russell, David White. Proved, 17th April, 1782, by the witnesses. Executors refused to execute. Jane, the widow, relinquished her right. Administration granted David and Isaac White.
- Page 277.--23d September, 1780. John Mitchell's will--To Ann Russell. £150; to Mary Russell, £150; to Andrew Russell's children; to Esther Turk; to Andrew Russell, but he is to give Ann, Mary, and Mathew their quantity of the legacy and the rest of the childrens, that is to say, William, Betty, Andrew, John, Jean, and James their mentioned parts of the legacy when they are of age; Thomas Turk, father of Esther, is to control her legacy until she is of age; to Mathew Russell; to William Russell; to Ann Russell; to Mary Russell; to Jean Russell. Teste: John Reaugh, Margaret Kirk, Mary Turk. Proved, 15th April, 1783, by the witnesses. (Note: John Mitchell was the father-in-law of Andrew Mitchell).
- Page 98.--21st April, 1801. Alex. Robertson's will--To wife, Jane; to sons, William and George; to daughters, Lettice and Ann Robertson. Executors, Brothers James and Mathew Robertson. Teste: Wm. Robertson, James Anderson, Andrew Russell. Proved, 27th April, 1801. Executors qualify.
Information on Andrew Russell, Sr.
From Genforum.com post:
Re: JOHN MITCHELL-WILL-1780-AUGUSTA CO VA
Posted by: Jerri Howard Date: December 13, 2001 at 11:34:46
In Reply to: Re: JOHN MITCHELL-WILL-1780-AUGUSTA CO VA by Veornica Russell of 12816
I do not know who the Andrew Russell, b abt.1740, d 1803, parents were. I know that John Mitchell mentioned Andrew Russell's family in his will in 1780. John Mitchell also was mentioned in some of their land transactions. It's possible that your Andrew Russell, b 1715 could be the father of Andrew Russell (1740-1803). What year did your Andrew Russell die. There is a mention of Andrew Russell being the son of "Widow Rusell" abt. 1760. The DAR records state that Andrew Russell's wife was Elizabeth Mitchell. But this is incorrect! I have documented proof that she was Elizabeth Armstrong, d/o Mathew Armstrong. John Mitchell's will and land transactions are in The "Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia by Lyman Chalkley". There are three volumes and it is on the internet.
Look in the Russell Family GenForum at the queries about this family. Please let me know if you find a connection. I believe there were about three Andrew Russells in Augusta Co. at the same time.
STOUT says that Florence HENDERSON, daughter of Rose FINLEY HENDERSON, married Andrew RUSSELL. In Augusta County records, there appear to be Andrew RUSSELL Sr. and Andrew RUSSELL Jr. witnessing deeds and other documents. Were they father and son?
In Will Book IX, P. 313 to 315, in May 1803 Andrew RUSSELL's will (proved in Knox County, TN, July term of 1803) mentions wife, Elizabeth; son, Mathew; son, William; daughter, Ann; son, John; daughter, Elizabeth; son, James; son-in-law, James ROBERTSON; sons, Andrew and Alexander TESTE. It was witnessed by Wm. GILLESPIE, Wm. HENDERSON and James GILLESPIE, and also proved in Augusta County on 29 Nov 1803.
From Rootsweb.com post:
Subject: [RUSSELL-L] Russell Ancestors
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 13:52:09 EST
I have Russell ancestors from Virginia. Andrew Russell Sr. moved from
Lancaster, Penn in 1732 to Augusta County, Virginia. He was born abt. 1716
in Northern Ireland. Married 1739 in Beverly Manor, Virginia to Florence
Henderson b. 1718 in British Isles. Andrew Sr. died 20 Nov. 1780 in
Virginia. Florence died bef. 20 Jul 1764. They had 5 children--
1. Joshua b. 1738--Married unknown but had 2 children.
Florence Russell, born in Virginia & married William Brooks; and
Russell (no records).
2. Andrew Jr. Baptized 10/28/ 1740 in Cowpasture, Augusta County, Virginia.
He died in Knox County, Tenn. & may have died while on visit to his son,
Matthew Russed. His will was filed in both Knox County, Tenn. & Augusta Co.
Virginia. He served in Revolutionary War. Andrew married Elizabeth Mitchell
(according to Galbreath book. Ancestral Files in Salt Lake say he marri
3. Robert--baptized 8/15/ 1742
4. John--baptized 4/24/ 1748
5. Martha--baptized 4/24/ 1749
Page 212 In Knox County Tennessee. The last will and testament of Andrew russell of that county: "The last will and testament of Andrew Russell 'of Augusta County, Virginia' was probated in Knox County, Tennessee in 1803. He mentions his wife Elizabeth and the following legatees:
Matthew Russell, son
William Russell, son
Ann Russell, daughter
John Russell, son
Elizabeth Russell, daughter
Jean Russell, daughter
James Russell, son
Andrew russell, son
Alexander Russell, son
James Robertson - son-in-law.
Witnesses to the will were: William Gillespie; William Henderson; James Gillespie and testator's sons: martin Russell; Andrew Russell; Alexander Russell
The will was also probated in Augusta County, Virginia."
Help fund new features!