Facts and Events
Alexander Smiley was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Estate Records of Alexander Smiley
- Page 111.--16th February, 1748. Mary Smiley's bond as administratrix of Alex. Smiley.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 18, 1748. - (52) Mary, widow of Alexr. Smiley, summoned to administer on Alexander's estate.
- Vol. 2 - FEE BOOKS OF AUGUSTA COURT, 1747-8: - page 72, Walter Smiley, (August), Petition for administration of your brother's estate. (Note: this petition is likely referring to the estate of Alexander Smiley, who had died in 1748. Links Walter as a brother of Alexander).
- Page 156.--12th April, 1749. Alex. Smiley's inventory and appraisement.
Possible Additional Children
Two Smiley's in Augusta County records that are possible (but not proven) sons (or perhaps nephews?) of Alexander Smiley are Andrew and Alexander Smiley (who had to have been born prior to 1740) are listed in the following Chalkley's record (more research needed to establish a relationship to this Alexander Smiley):
- Page 188.--25th May, 1760. Thomas Paxton's will--To wife, Sarah; to son Thomas, executor; to son, Samuel; to son-in-law, Mathew Robinson; to granddaughter, Elizabeth Eakin; to grandson, John Robinson, Teste: Mathew Lyle, Alex. Smiley, Andw. Smiley. Proved, 16th November, 1762, by Lyle and Alex. Smiley. Thos. Paxton qualifies, with Andw. Hays. Mathew Lyle.
Additional Early Smiley Records in Augusta County
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1750. - 1738--May 1, Credit by William Smiley. (Note: probable brother of Alexander).
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 20, 1752. - (316) Patrick Martin and Alexr. Richey to be overseers of road from Young's Mill to Alexr. Richey's smith shop, thence to Buchanan's mills, with these hands: Adam Thompson, Geo. Peary, Ro. Young, James Peary, John Campbell, John Buchanan, James Moody, Andrew Cowan, James Callison, John Jameson, Walter Smiley, James McCorkle, Ro. McCorkle, Nathan Gilliland, Wm. McNabb. (Note: probable brother of Alexander).
- Vol. 1 - MAY 21, 1756. - (126) Walter Smiley, bound to peace. (Note: same as above).
- Chalkley's Augusta County, Virginia Records