Before Match/Merge Existed [20 July 2009]
I plan on uploading a Gedcom and have it create the person and family pages. What happens if one or more of those persons or families have a page that already exists? Is there some type of a merge function or do I need to delete my page, add my new data to the existing page and then connect it to my othe pages created thru Gedcom? Can I connect existing pages to new pages I create or upload?
- Dallan may want to answer this more fully, but as far as I know, a merge feature is in the works. Right now it will just create duplicate people and families for each one in your GEDCOM. This is a problem, but hopefully it will be fixed soon. --Joeljkp 23:04, 19 September 2007 (EDT)
- So when after this merge feature is live, I would need to go bak and check any pages I have entered? Suggestion: add a search option that will identify any likely merge candidates using a variety of fields. I still control the merge, but it maybe speeds things up a little. --Dpsnyder 07:49, 20 September 2007 (EDT)
- Hi, we plan on the Match/Merge going on line by the end of the year. It will automatically ID duplicate pages and send you an email. You will be able to choose what you want to merge -- it should be pretty simple. Until then, you can just wait for the match function to ID the duplicates or manually delete duplicate pages. Thanks for your interest and comments, and welcome. :)--sq 10:10, 20 September 2007 (EDT)--jillaine 19:03, 20 July 2009 (EDT)
Living People in Uploaded GEDCOM [20 July 2009]
- I'm one of the people with LIVING people in my uploaded GEDCOM. I was horrified to discover this, reported it to Dallan who said he'd get to it by the end of the month (November). We agreed that, in my case, he would delete all records that had LIVING in the Death or MARRIED fields. Don't know if he's had a chance to do it yet. But it was that conversation, in part, that had me draft some "before you upload" instructions. jillaine 18:50, 28 November 2008 (EST)
- I've gotten side-tracked by genefun.com the past few weeks and haven't had a chance to delete these pages yet, but it's high on my priority list. It will be done next month.--Dallan 12:51, 29 November 2008 (EST)--jillaine 19:09, 20 July 2009 (EDT)
Help fund new features!