Place:Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England


NameWootton Bassett
Alt namesWootton-Bassettsource: Family History Library Catalog
Coordinates51.55°N 1.9°W
Located inWiltshire, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Royal Wootton Bassett[1] , colloquially Wootton Bassett is a small market town and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, with a population of 11,043 in 2001. Situated in the north of the county, it lies 6 miles (9.5 km) to the west of the major town of Swindon and 10 miles (16 km) northeast of Calne.

The town was granted royal patronage in March 2011 by Elizabeth II in recognition of its role in the early 21st century military funeral repatriations, which passed through the town. This honour was officially conferred in a ceremony on 16 October 2011 – the first royal patronage to be conferred upon a town (as distinguished from a borough or county) since 1909.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Wootton Bassett. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.