Place:Red Head Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada


NameRed Head Cove
Coordinates48.131°N 52.893°W
Located inNewfoundland and Labrador, Canada

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Red Head Cove is a fishing village in Newfoundland and Labrador located near the tip of the Bay de Verde Peninsula separating Trinity Bay and Conception Bay, in a steep valley north of Bay de Verde. The cove provides very little shelter or level ground for building homes. To the north is a reddish color headland, which gives the community its name. Red Head Cove provides the closest access to the prime fishing grounds of Baccalieu Tickle.


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The settlement is mostly Roman Catholic. During the 1900s many of the nearby communities were increasing their involvement in the Labrador fishery, however, Red Head Cove remained primarily an inshore fishing community.

In 1954, brothers Morris Quinlan and Patrick Quinlan bought the business of James F. O'Neill of Bay de Verde and established Quinlan Brothers Limited. In due course, they built a relatively small ‘fish plant’ on the waterfront at Foreside. Even though fish had been caught and sold in a variety of ways since early settlement, this was the first fresh codfish processing operation in Bay de Verde. By the early 1960s, the salt cod industry had virtually come to an end and consequently, the ‘fish plant’ became the mainstay of the fishery in Bay de Verde. In time, along with cod, many other species were processed. After the cod moratorium of 1992 Quinlan Bros. turned their attention to the processing of snow crab and shrimp. With their base of operation in Bay de Verde, they are now one of the largest producers of these products in Newfoundland and Labrador. Many residents of Red Head Cove obtained employment at this fish plant or on the long-liner fleet at that port.


  • 1817 – Local tradition has it that this year saw the arrival of the first year-round settler, Richard Hatch (or Hutch), who had visited the cove from Trinity in the past. Family names of other early settlers who probably used the Cove as a summer station before settlement include: Hyde, Quinlan and Rice.
  • 1836 – Census reports two famililes at Red Head Cove with a total population of 14. These are the families of Hatch and Patrick Rice, who live on both sides of the Main River.
  • 1845 – The population increases to 48.
  • 1872 – A road is established between Red Head Cove, Bay de Verde and Old Perlican.
  • 1874 – The population increases to 89. Three of these were born in Ireland.
  • 1901 – The population is 174.
  • 1935 – The population is 240.
  • 1956 - The population is 195.
  • 1980’s – The inshore fishery is still the largest employer in Red Head Cove, but some residents leave as a result of the declining fish and crab stocks.
  • 1992 – Most of the services are provided to Red Head Cove by the larger surrounding communities, including Old Perlican Cottage Hospital and a central high school located at Bay de Verde

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Red Head Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.