Place:Old Perlican, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada


NameOld Perlican
Coordinates48.081°N 53.008°W
Located inNewfoundland and Labrador, Canada
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Old Perlican is a fishing village on the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland and Labrador in Canada. Incorporated in 1971, it is one of the oldest fishing communities in Newfoundland, serving as the major fishing station in Trinity Bay for migratory fisherman from England in the 17th century.


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Its name was recorded as "Parlican" as early as 1597, with the "old" being added sometime later to distinguish it from New Perlican further up the bay.

It was settled by at least 1640 when a planter named John Brown is listed as living there.


  • 1597 - Old Perlican first mentioned as "Parlican". At this time, Old Perlican is a summer fishery station for migratory fishermen.
  • 1675 - First Newfoundland Census lists fourteen planters.
  • 1697 - (February) - French under D'Iberville capture Old Perlican. They report that there are "19 houses, several stores, more than thirty head of horned cattle, and a number of sheep and pigs". During King William's War, the village was destroyed in the Avalon Peninsula Campaign.
  • 1729 - Old Perlican is one of 11 harbours in Newfoundland to warrant the appointment of justice of the peace.
  • 1856 - Way Office established.
  • 1883 - First Postmaster was George Tuff
  • 1937 - First Radio Receiver comes into Older Perlican. Radio is currently in the private collection of Matthew Gillie

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Old Perlican, Newfoundland and Labrador. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.