Place:Hardenhuish, Wiltshire, England

Watchers
NameHardenhuish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.468°N 2.135°W
Located inWiltshire, England     ( - 1934)
See alsoChippenham Hundred, Wiltshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Chippenham Rural, Wiltshire, Englandrural district, 1894 - 1934
Chippenham, Wiltshire, Englandmunicipal borough into which it was merged in 1934
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hardenhuish from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HARDENHUISH, or HARNISH, a parish in Chippenham [registration] district, Wilts; adjacent to the Great Western railway, 1½ mile NW of Chippenham. Post town: Chippenham. Acres: 1,477. Real property: £1,227. Population: 117. Houses: 27. The property is divided among a few. Hardenhuish Park is the seat of E. L. Clutterbuck, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £90. Patron: E. L. Clutterbuck, Esq. The church is good; and the churchyard contains the tomb of Thorpe, the antiquary, and a marble monument to Ricardo, the political economist. There is a free school.

In 1934 Hardenhuish was split between Chippenham Municipal Borough and the rural parish of Langley Burrell Without.

Research Tips