Place:Glynde, Sussex, England

Alt namesGlyndebournesource: from redirect
Coordinates50.862°N 0.0677°E
Located inSussex, England
Also located inEast Sussex, England     (1865 - )
See alsoPevensey Rape, Sussex, Englandrape in which it was located
Ringmer Hundred, Sussex, Englandhundred in which it was located
Chailey Rural, Sussex, Englandrural district 1894-1974
Wealden District, East Sussex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Glynde is a village and civil parish in the Lewes District of East Sussex, England. It is located two miles (5 km) east of the town of Lewes.

Originally the village of Glynde lay within the 1530-acre (619 ha) Glynde parish, which was united with West Firle (see Firle and Beddingham after the Second World War, to form Glynde and Beddingham. However, it is still a separate civil parish. The present parish covers 17.8 km2 (6.9 sq mi) and had a population of 312 at the UK census of 2011.

The rectory of Glynde was held by the Abbots of Bec in Normandy from the Norman Conquest of 1066 to [the Battle of] Agincourt in 1415. Henry V's brother, the Duke of Bedford, confiscated it and transferred it to the Dean and Chapter of Windsor in 1421. They remain patrons to the ecclesiastical living to this day.

The present parish church of St Mary the Virgin was dedicated in 1765 replacing the old parish church. The war memorial, with the names of seventeen men of Glynde who fell in the two world wars, is of Portland stone and stands at the bottom of the churchyard, close to the road. North of the village is Glyndebourne, where opera is performed during the summer months.

The Glynde Estate

The estate at Glynde has belonged to four interlinked families: the Waleys ("from Wales"), Morleys, Trevors, and Brands. The Trevors were originally from north Wales, and descended from Tudor Trevor, a chieftain who in 915 married the daughter of Hywel the Good of Gwynedd and all Wales.

The Glynde manor was not named in the Domesday Book, but it is probably the unnamed peculier of the Archbishop of Canterbury held by one Godfrey of Malling, who also held the manor of South Malling. By the late 12th century, Richard Waleys held four knight fees of the Archbishop, including Glynde.

The Waleys added further estates near Mayfield (Hawkesden and Bainden), which in the 16th century became the centre of the Wealden ironmaking industry and a major source of wealth. William Morley (1531–97) added the manors of Combe and Beddingham, on the other side of Glynde Reach. Harbert Morley (1616–67) added the manor of Preston Beckhelwyn. These remain part of the Glynde Estate.

Research Tips

  • The East Sussex Record Office, The Keep, Woollards Way, Brighton, BN1 9BP, United Kingdom (email holds material for the Archdeaconry of Lewes, present-day East Sussex, and therefore generally holds historical material for East Sussex parishes only. An on-line catalogue for some of the collections held by the East Sussex Record Office (ESRO) is available under the Access to Archives (A2A) project (a nationwide facility housed at The National Archives, Kew).
  • The Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies' Sussex Collection (PDF). This is a 9-page PDF naming the files relating to Sussex in their collection-a possible first step in a course of research.
  • Further resources may be found on GENUKI's main page on Sussex.
  • The National Library of Scotland has a website which provides maps taken from the Ordnance Survey England & Wales One-Inch to the Mile series of 1892-1908 as well as equivalent maps for Scotland itself. The immediate presentation is a "help" screen and a place selection screen prompting the entry of a location down to town, village or parish level. These screens can be removed by a click of the "X". The map is very clear and shows parish and county boundaries and many large buildings and estates that existed at the turn of the 20th century. Magnification can be adjusted and an "overlay feature" allows inspection of the area today along with that of 1900. The specific map from the series can be viewed as a whole ("View this map") and this allows the inspection of the map legend (found in the left hand bottom corner. Becoming familiar with the various facilities of these maps is well worth the trouble.
  • [ GENUKI on Glynde
  • Maps of the local area are to be found on the WeRelate page for Lewes Rape and on that for Chailey Rural District.
  • A History of the County of Sussex provided by British History Online does not include articles on parishes that were part of Pevensey Rape.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Glynde. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.