Place:Brympton, Somerset, England

Alt namesBrimptonsource: earlier spelling
Alvingtonsource: hamlet in parish
Brympton D'Evercysource: hamlet in parish
TypeAncient parish, Civil parish
Coordinates50.937°N 2.684°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoStone Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Yeovil Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district 1894-1974
South Somerset District, Somerset, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Brympton (#4 on map) is a civil parish and electoral ward in Somerset, England. The parish is situated on the northwest edge of Yeovil. The parish includes the hamlets of Brympton D'Evercy and Alvington. In 1930 part of the parish of Preston Plucknett (#27) was absorbed, followed in 1933 by the whole of the former parishes of Lufton (#16) and Thorne Coffin (#33). The parish/ward had a population of 7,308 in the UK census of 2011.

Brympton was historically spelt Brimpton. Brympton D'Evercy was a manor house.

The Church of St. Andrew, the parish church of Brympton, dates from the 13th century and has been designated by English Heritage as a grade I listed building.


Brympton was originally a parish in the Stone Hundred, one of the hundreds or early subdivisions of the county of Somerset. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of the Yeovil Rural District. In the 1930s it was expanded when it absorbed neighbouring parishes in part or in whole (see above).

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, all urban and rural districts across England were abolished and counties were reorganized into metropolitan and non-metropolitan districts. Brympton joined the non-metropolitan South Somerset District which covers the southeast corner of Somerset.

Image:Yeovil Rural 1900 small.png

Research Tips

  • GENUKI page on Brympton.
  • The Victoria History of the Counties of EnglandHistory of the County of Somerset, produced by The Institute of Historical Research at the University of London, does not provide any details on the parish and chapelries of Stone Hundred.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Brympton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.