Place:Preston Plucknett, Somerset, England

NamePreston Plucknett
Alt namesPreston-Plucknettsource: hyphenated
TypeChapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates50.946°N 2.663°W
Located inSomerset, England     ( - 1930)
See alsoStone Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Yeovil Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district 1894-1930
Yeovil, Somerset, Englandneighbouring parish which absorbed part in 1930
Brympton, Somerset, Englandneighbouring parish which absorbed part in 1930
West Coker, Somerset, Englandneighbouring parish which absorbed part in 1930
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Preston Plucknett (#27 on map) is now a suburb of Yeovil in Somerset, England. It was once a small village, and a separate civil parish until 1930, when it was absorbed into the neighbouring parishes of Yeovil, Brympton and West Coker. It was listed in the Domesday Book of 1086 as "Preston" (Old English: preost tun, "priest farm/settlement") when its lord was Ansger of Montacute (Alfward before 1066). In the 13th century, Alan de Plugenet was lord of the manor and added his surname to Preston.

Following the 20th century expansion of Yeovil, Preston Plucknett became little more than a suburb of the town. Throughout the centuries the spelling and pronunciation of the name has changed and evolved until it became the present day "Preston Plucknett." The parish of Preston Plucknett was part of the Stone Hundred.

The village church, dedicated to St James, dates from 1420, and has a 20 m (60 ft) tower with six bells. The church was restored and partially rebuilt during the 1860s. A vestry was added in the 1950s and an annexe in 1979, which was expanded in 2001. It became a separate parish church in 1988: until that time, it had been a chapelry of St John’s, the parish church of Yeovil. It has a daughter church, St Peter's, built in the 1930s.

Image:Yeovil Rural 1900 small.png

The tithe barn at Preston Plucknett was included in the fifth list of ancient monuments prepared by the Commissioner of Works in 1925. The Abbey Barn and associated Abbey Farm House are both Grade I listed buildings.

The still preserved manor house of Preston Plucknett was built in the early 15th century, around 1420, by John Stourton (d. 1438); (cousin of his namesake John Stourton, 1st Baron Stourton), a justice of the peace, sheriff, and several times Member of Parliament for Somerset, who, helped by three good marriages, accumulated a respectable wealth. The manor was left to his third and surviving spouse, Katherine Payne, and eventually inherited by his three daughters, one of which, Alice, was married to Sir William Daubeney and was the mother of Giles Daubeney, 1st Baron Daubeney.

Research tips

  • GENUKI page on Preston Plucknett.
  • The Victoria History of the Counties of EnglandHistory of the County of Somerset, produced by The Institute of Historical Research at the University of London, does not provide any details on the parish and chapelries of Stone Hundred.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Preston Plucknett. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.