Place:Lufton, Somerset, England

TypeAncient parish, Civil parish
Coordinates50.952°N 2.694°W
Located inSomerset, England     ( - 1933)
See alsoStone Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Yeovil Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district 1894-1933
Brympton, Somerset, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1933
South Somerset District, Somerset, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974

Lufton (#16 on map) was a very small ancient parish in the Stone Hundred. In 1866 it became a civil parish, which was abolished in 1933 and absorbed into the neighbouring civil parish of Brympton (#4).

Thorne Coffin's name was changed to Thorne in 1884. (Source: Victoria History of the County of Somerset)

The Church of St Peter and St Paul, the parish church of Lufton, dates from the 14th century or earlier, but was rebuilt in 1865 by Benjamin Ferrey. It is a Grade II listed building.

The following description from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72 is provided by the website A Vision of Britain Through Time (University of Portsmouth Department of Geography).

"LUFTON, a parish in Yeovil [registration] district, Somerset; 3 miles NW by W of Yeovil town and [railway] station. Post town: Yeovil. Acres: 292. Population: 31. Houses: 5. The manor belongs to J. Farquharson, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value: £107. Patron: E. Newman, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1866."
Image:Yeovil Rural 1900 small.png


Lufton was originally a parish in the Stone Hundred, one of the hundreds or early subdivisions of the county of Somerset. From 1894 until 1933 it was part of the Yeovil Rural District. In 1933 the parish was absorbed into Brympton.

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, all urban and rural districts across England were abolished and counties were reorganized into metropolitan and non-metropolitan districts. Brympton joined the non-metropolitan South Somerset District which covers the southeast corner of Somerset.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI page on Lufton.
  • The Victoria History of the Counties of EnglandHistory of the County of Somerset, produced by The Institute of Historical Research at the University of London, does not provide any details on the parish and chapelries of Stone Hundred.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s