Place:Blackford (near Milborne Port), Somerset, England

NameBlackford (near Milborne Port)
Alt namesBlackford (inhabited place)source: from redirect
Blackfordsource: shortened name
TypeChapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates51.033°N 2.491°W
Located inSomerset, England     ( - 1933)
See alsoMaperton, Somerset, Englandecclesiastical parish in which it was a chapelry
Whitley Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Wincanton Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1933
Compton Pauncefoot, Somerset, Englandadjacent parish into which it was absorbed in 1933
South Somerset District, Somerset, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
NOTE: The village of Blackford is one of three Blackfords in Somerset. The others are a hamlet in the parish of Selworthy in the Somerset West and Taunton District known as Blackford (near Selworthy), and a hamlet in Wedmore parish in Sedgemoor District named Blackford in Wedmore.

In WeRelate

  • Blackford, Somerset, England is this settlement, and the others (both redirected to their respective parishes) are
  • Blackford (near Selworthy), Somerset, England, and
  • Blackford in Wedmore, Somerset, England

Blackford (#4 on map) is titled Blackford (near Milborne Port) because Milborne Port was the name of the sub-registration district within Wincanton Registration District. It is a former civil parish and a village in Somerset, England, situated beside the A303 major road, 4 miles (6.4 km) west of Wincanton (#37). Blackford parish was bounded on the north by North Cadbury (#22) and Yarlington (#38), on the east by Maperton (#18), on the south by Charlton Horethorne (#9), and on the west by Compton Pauncefoot (#10). Milborne Port (#19) is to the south of Charlton Horethorne.


In the Domesday Book of 1086 the manor is recorded as held by Turstin FitzRolf. The parish of Blackford was part of the Whitley Hundred and, between 1894 and 1933 part of the Wincanton Rural District.

"Baron Blackford, of Compton Pauncefoot in the County of Somerset", was a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created in 1935 for the barrister William James Peake Mason. He had already been created a Baronet, of Compton Pauncefoot in the County of Somerset, in the Baronetage of the United Kingdom in 1918. The titles became extinct in 1988 on the death of his great-grandson, the fourth Baron.

The Church of St Michael has 11th- or 12th-century origins, and has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building.

For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Blackford, Somerset.

The following description from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72 is provided by the website A Vision of Britain Through Time (University of Portsmouth Department of Geography).

"BLACKFORD, a parish in Wincanton [registration] district, Somerset; 4½ miles WS-W of Wincanton [railway] station, and 5 N by W of Milborne-Port. Post Town: North Cadbury, under Bath. Acres: 578. Real property, with Compton and Pauncefoot: £2,839. Population: 164. Houses: 37. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value: £177. Patron: B. H. Hunt, Esq. The church is early English, with a fine Norman entrance-arch. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school."
Image:Wincanton Rural 1900 small.png


Blackford was originally a chapelry in the ancient parish of Maperton within the Whitley Hundred, one of the hundreds or early subdivisions of the county of Somerset. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of the Wincanton Rural District.

In 1933 it was merged with the neighbouring parish of Compton Pauncefoot which was also in Wincanton Rural District. Both parishes were small and thinly populated.

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, all urban and rural districts across England were abolished and counties were reorganized into metropolitan and non-metropolitan districts. Compton Pauncefoot joined the non-metropolitan South Somerset District.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI page on Blackford
  • A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 7: Whitley hundred article on Blackford in the Victoria County History series produced by The Institute of Historical Research, School of Advanced Study, University of London.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s