Place:Wedmore, Somerset, England

Watchers
NameWedmore
Alt namesThealesource: from redirect
Blackford in Wedmoresource: village in parish
Theale in Wedmoresource: village in parish
Bagleysource: hamlet in parish
Churchlandsource: hamlet in parish
Cocklakesource: hamlet in parish
Mudgleysource: hamlet in parish
Northloadsource: hamlet in parish
Panboroughsource: hamlet in parish
Sandsource: hamlet in parish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.233°N 2.817°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoBempstone Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Glastonbury Twelve Hides Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was also located
Axbridge Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1933
Sedgemoor District, Somerset, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: The villages of Blackford in Wedmore and Theale in Wedmore are usually named simply "Blackford" and "Theale", but both names are duplicated elsewhere. There are two other Blackfords in Somerset (one a parish near Wincanton in South Somerset District and one in Selworthy parish in the Minehead area of the Somerset West and Taunton District. Theale is also a parish in Berkshire.

In WeRelate

  • Blackford, Somerset, England will refer to the parish in South Somerset,
  • Blackford in Wedmore, Somerset, England is this settlement, and
  • Blackford in Selworthy, Somerset, England refers to the hamlet in Selworthy parish (to which it has been redirected).


the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Wedmore is a large village and an even larger civil parish in the county of Somerset, England. It is situated on raised ground, in the Somerset Levels between the River Axe and the River Brue, often called the "Isle of Wedmore". The parish consists of three main villages: Wedmore, Blackford in Wedmore and Theale in Wedmore, with the 17 hamlets of Bagley, Blakeway, Clewer, Crickham, Cocklake, Heath House, Latcham, Little Ireland, Middle Stoughton, Mudgley, Panborough, Sand, Stoughton Cross, Washbrook, West End, West Ham and West Stoughton. The parish of Wedmore has a population of 3,318 according to the 2011 UK census. The area of the parish is 10,280 acres (or 4,160 hectares or 16.06 sq miles).

It is 4 miles (6 km) south of Cheddar, 7 miles (11 km) west of the city of Wells and 7 miles (11 km) northwest of Glastonbury.

Wedmore was part of two ancient hundreds: Bempstone and Glastonbury Twelve Hides. From 1894 until 1974, it was a civil parish in the Axbridge Rural District. It now forms part of Sedgemoor District.

Blackford in Wedmore

The following description from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72 is provided by the website A Vision of Britain Through Time (University of Portsmouth Department of Geography).

"BLACKFORD, a chapelry in Wedmore parish, Somerset; between the rivers Axe and Brue, 2¾ miles N by E of Edington Road [railway] station, and 4½ S of Axbridge. It has a post office under Weston-super-Mare. Population: 677. Houses: 147. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. The manor belonged to H. Saxey, and was given by him to Bruton hospital. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value: £300. Patron: the Vicar of Wedmore. The church is modern."

Research Tips

  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address: archives@somerset.gov.uk.
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Wedmore. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.