Place:Maperton, Somerset, England

TypeAncient parish, Civil parish
Coordinates51.037°N 2.465°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoCatsash Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Wincanton Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district 1894-1974
South Somerset District, Somerset, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Maperton (#18 on map) is a civil parish and a village in Somerset, England, situated situated 3 miles (4.8 km) southwest of Wincanton (#37). The parish had a population of 140 in the UK census of 2011.

In the Domesday Book of 1086 the manor is recorded as held by Turstin FitzRolf. The manor was held by Francis Hastings of North Cadbury around 1600.

Maperton House was built in the 19th century, but incorporates some 18th-century fragments from a previous manor house which stood on the same site. (This residence should not be confused with "Mapperton House", seat of the Earls of Sandwich, near Beaminster in Dorset.)

The Anglican parish church dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul has a tower dating from the late 15th century, with the remainder of the church being rebuilt in 1869. It has been designated as a Grade II listed building. It was a favourite venue for clandestine weddings in the early 18th century.


Maperton was originally a parish in the Catsash Hundred, one of the hundreds or early subdivisions of the county of Somerset. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of the Wincanton Rural District.

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, all urban and rural districts across England were abolished and counties were reorganized into metropolitan and non-metropolitan districts. Maperton joined the non-metropolitan South Somerset District.

Image:Wincanton Rural 1900 small.png

Research Tips

  • GENUKI page on Maperton
  • The Victoria History of the Counties of EnglandHistory of the County of Somerset, produced by The Institute of Historical Research at the University of London, currently (2021) provides details on only some of the parishes and chapelries of Catsash Hundred. The remainder of the hundred may be included in the next volume to be published.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Maperton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.