Place:Bishopstone (near Salisbury), Wiltshire, England

NameBishopstone (near Salisbury)
Alt namesBishopston (near Salisbury)source: alternate spelling
Crouchestonsource: hamlet in parish
The Pittssource: hamlet in parish
Faulstonsource: hamlet in parish
Flamstonsource: hamlet in parish
Nettonsource: hamlet in parish
Throopesource: hamlet in parish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.031°N 1.903°W
Located inWiltshire, England
See alsoDownton Hundred, Wiltshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Wilton Rural, Wiltshire, Englandrural district, 1894 - 1934
Salisbury and Wilton Rural, Wiltshire, Englandrural district 1934-1974
Salisbury District, Wiltshire, Englanddistrict municipality 1974-2009
Wiltshire District, Wiltshire, Englandunitary authority since 2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE:This is Bishopstone near Salisbury in Wiltshire. There is another Bishopstone in the north of the county, near Shrivenham and Swindon.

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Bishopstone (near Salisbury) is a village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England. It lies in the Ebble valley, about 5.5 miles (9 km) southwest of Salisbury. The parish is on the county boundary with Hampshire and includes the small village of Croucheston and the hamlet of The Pitts.

It is not known when Bishopstone was first inhabited or what it was called but fragmentary records from Saxon times indicate that the whole Chalke Valley area was thriving. It is surmised that the village was originally known as "Eblesborne", but by 1166 it had been acquired by the See of Winchester and was known as "Bissopeston".

The Domesday Book in 1086 divided the Chalke Valley into eight manors: Chelke (or Chalke - the parishes of Broad Chalke and Bower Chalke), Eblesborne (Ebbesborne Wake), Fifehide (Fifield Bavant), Cumbe (Coombe Bissett), Humitone (Homington), Odestoche (Odstock), Stradford (Stratford St. Anthony and Bishopstone) and Trow (in the vicinity of Alvediston and Tollard Royal).

The parish contains six ancient villages, possibly since Saxon times. To the north of the river these were Bishopstone, Netton and Flamston; to the south, Throope, Faulston and Croucheston. Names of former settlements survive in Netton Farmhouse (1637), Throope Manor (18th century), and Faulston House (17th century). The roadside settlement known as The Pitts developed in the 19th century.

The parish church of St John the Baptist is Grade I listed. Evidence survives of a 12th-century building, which was rebuilt as a cruciform church in the 13th century. The tower and two-storey porch were added in the 15th century and restoration was carried out in the 19th. There are several monuments outside. By the south transept, a small stone cloister of two vaulted bays shelters a decorated tomb chest, perhaps that of the founder of the church. In the north transept is another richly decorated tomb recess, with stone coffin-lids, and in the south transept a mid-19th-century Gothic monument to a former rector by A. W. Pugin. At one time, above this was a window designed by Pugin and executed by William Wailes; this has since been replaced by clear glass.

A Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1833 at Croucheston and continued in use until 1978.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Bishopstone, Salisbury. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.