Place:Beningbrough, North Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameBeningbrough
Alt namesBenningbroughsource: Family History Library Catalog mis-spelling
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates54.013°N 1.194°W
Located inNorth Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inNorth Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
Yorkshire, England    
See alsoEasingwold Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which the parish was located 1894-1974
Hambleton District, North Yorkshire, Englandadministrative district in which it is now located
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Beningbrough is a village and civil parish in the Hambleton district of North Yorkshire, England. The population as taken at the 2011 Census was less than 100. Details are included in the civil parish of Shipton, North Yorkshire.

Beningbrough village is north-west from York city centre. The parish, which includes Beningbrough Hall and Park, is bordered at the south-west by the River Ouse, beyond which is the district of Harrogate. According to the 2001 Census, parish population was 55.

Beningbrough is within the ecclesiastical parish of Shipton with Overton. The parish church of Holy Evangelists is at Shipton by Beningbrough.

Beningbrough is listed in the 1086 Domesday Book as "Benniburg", meaning a "stronghold associated with a man called 'Beonna'", being an Old English person name. At the time of the Norman Conquest, Beningbrough was in the Bulford Hundred of the North Riding of Yorkshire. The settlement contained five households and five villagers, with one-and-a-half ploughlands, three furlongs of woodland, and six acres of meadow. In 1066, Asfrith was lord, this transferred to Ralph in 1086, with Hugh fitzBaldric becoming Tenant-in-chief to king William I.

In 1870 Beningbrough was a township in the parish of Newton-on-Ouse, containing 88 people in 15 houses within an area of , and in 1877, 74 people in .

Beningbrough railway station was the first station out of York on the main line to Newcastle. The station opened on the GNER line in 1841; closed to passengers in 1958, and to freight in 1965.

The racehorse Beningbrough, winner of the 1794 St Leger Stakes, was named after the village.

Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Beningbrough was part of Easingwold Rural District. Historically, it was located in the ecclesiastical parish of Newton upon Ouse in the Bulmer Wapentake.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Beningbrough. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.