Person:William Walters (16)

William Walter
m. c. 1714
  1. William Walter1712 - 1766
  • HWilliam Walter1712 - 1766
  • WMary Cattell1720 - between 1753 and 1810
m. 2 September 1740
  1. William Walters1741 -
  2. Lucy Walters1744 -
  3. Elizabeth Walters1746 -
  4. Joshua WaltersABT 1750 - BET 1751 AND 1840
  5. John Alleyne Walter1752 - after 1784
Facts and Events
Name William Walter
Alt Name William Walters
Gender Male
Birth? 1712 Godalming, Surrey, England
Alt Birth? c. 1715
Marriage 2 September 1740 Charleston, South Carolina, United Statesto Mary Cattell
Death? 16 August 1766 South Carolina, United States

The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine: Volume 20:

The title was evidently made and William Cattell must have transferred the place to his son in law William Walter who had married his daughter Mary. The tract is not referred to in William Cattell's will, and in a deed of that date of a tract bounding on this tract, it is stated as belonging to William Walter. William Walter was the same William Walter who was the owner of the neighbouring Wampee plantation. He seems to have been a man of considerable means and was also the owner of the well known Crowfield plantation in the parish of St. James Goose Creek, which he purchased in 1754 from William Middleton. William Walter died in 1766 and by his will directed certain lands in cluding his plantation on the south side of Ashley River to be sold, and later proceedings were instituted for the settlement of his es tate, and on 19 August, 1778 the Master in Chancery advertised for sale several tracts of land belonging to the estate of William Walter deceased, including the plantation called Jacksons containing 350 acres in two distinct tracts bounding north on Ashley River, east on lands late of William Cattell, Junr, decd. (The Oaks) and west on lands late of William Cattell, Senr (Brick House). At this sale the property was evidently acquired by John Alleyne Walter the son of William Walter for on 27 January, 1785, John Alleyne Walter agrees to sell to Abraham Ladson, Millbrook plantation, and on 27 February, 1786, executed the deed to Abraham Ladson for it, as containing 375 acres with boundaries showing it to be the same place as Jacksons. The name Millbrook appears to have been given to the place during the ownership of John Alleyne Walter who married Jane Oliphant daughter of Dr. David Oliphant Surgeon General of the Southern Department on the Continental establishment in the Revolutionary War. By Abraham Ladson the Millbrook property was conveyed to the Honourable Thomas Middleton sometime in 1786. The deed does not appear on record but the boundaries in deeds of the line of adjoining places show that Thomas Middleton owned it, and for some reason, probably to fortify his title, Thomas Middleton on 17 September, 1786, took out a warrant for a new grant which appears to have been issued. Thomas Middleton purchased the Vaucluse property lower down the river and does not appear ever to have made Millbrook his residence. Possibly the residence house had been burned. He died in 1795 and the property remained in his estate until 1838 when it was conveyed by his heirs and representatives to J. Pinckney Clement as Millbrook plantation containing 338 acres.