Is it possible to enable the embedding of Google Maps onto any page? Based on the Google Permissions page, it appears they allow embedding maps onto public sites if they have an API and provide attribution. --Jennifer (JBS66) 11:23, 14 July 2011 (EDT)
I just implemented this. Would you please add the information about how to do it to a help page? It might also be nice to add it to the FAQ or something so that more people learn about it.--Dallan 12:43, 14 July 2011 (EDT)
To embed a map:
- Go to http://maps.google.com
- Click on "My Places"
- Create a new map, add the placemarks, and click "Done"
- Click on the "Link" icon in the upper-right corner
- Copy the link under Paste link in email or IM; do not copy the HTML under "Paste HTML to embed in website."
- Add <googlemap>the link you copied from google</googlemap> to any WeRelate page.
If you want to change the size of the map, you can add height and width attributes to the googlemap tag; e.g., <googlemap height="300" width="400">...</googlemap>.
- Thank You!!! :-)) I just tested this out on the Repository:Westfries Archief page. I will update the Help and FAQ in the coming days. One small thing I noticed, the text underneath the map says "View Test in a larger map" (can the word test be changed?) --Jennifer (JBS66) 13:48, 14 July 2011 (EDT)
- Oops; I changed the text to just say "Larger map".--Dallan 16:41, 14 July 2011 (EDT)
- Excellent! I just tried it out on Family:Louis Brautman and Bertha Littman (1) and Family:Charles Holt and Jane Pearce (1). One thing I noticed, with a customized Google map that had locations plotted on it. When I just used the default size, Google didn't nicely open the map such that all of the points were visible. I had to fiddle with the height/width to get it to open nicely so you could see all of the points. The map doesn't include the legend the way it does when you go to the full page on Google, but it does put up all the info if you click on any of the points on the map. Great addition to WeRelate! Thanks! --TomChatt
- You're welcome! BTW, I had a similar problem with the map not showing all of the placemarks at default size. Another thing you can do is use the "Customize" link at google to zoom the map out a bit, then copy the link.--Dallan 10:56, 15 July 2011 (EDT)
I added the instructions for this here and also updated the "Did you know?" box on the Main page. --Jennifer (JBS66) 11:21, 18 July 2011 (EDT)
- Thank you!--Dallan 11:31, 18 July 2011 (EDT)