- Intermediate Source:William Robert Cowan, Personal COmmunication, 20 Jan 2014
- Original Source:
- Person:John Cowan (38)
- Document. Will of John Cowan of Savannah River, 1792
- Cowans of Old 96
In the Name of God Amen - I John Cowan of Abbeville County in the State of South Carolina being sick of body but of sound and perfect mind & memory praise be therefore given into Almighty God. I do hereby make my last Will and Testament in ____ & form following
First & principally I commend my soul unto Almighty God hoping through the mercy of my beloved Savior Jesus Christ to have free & full pardon of all my sins and to inherit everlasting life - and my body I commend to the earth to be decently buried at the discretion of my executors hereafter named - and as _____ what worldly estate which it has pleased Almighty God to bless me with or bestow upon me I dispose of as follows -
- First it is my Will and desire that all my just debts be paid.
- Item I give unto my sons John, Archy, James and Samuel Cowans all the land belonging to me including the tract I now live upon making in the whole six hundred acres lying on both sides of the river in South Carolina & Georgia to be sold at the decease of my well beloved wife Margaret Cowans, or if she should marry again when she marries and the amount to be equally divided among them and their assigns forever.
- Item I give unto my beloved daughter Susan Cowans and whereas the State of South Carolina is considerably in debt to me - If the money should be recovered from the public my Will & desire is that my debts should be paid out of it after which the remainder of the money to be divided equally amongst all my sons and daughters except Isabella Walton should have no children then and in that case I do not give any thing further to her then I have already done and provided my debts can be paid without disposing of Dinah and her daughter Venis then & in that case my Will is that they should be sold at the death of my well beloved wife or if she should marry when she marries again and the amount to be equally divided amongst my three daughters Susan, Mary & Elanor Cowans to them and their heirs for ever.
- And I do hereby appoint my well beloved wife Margaret Cowan executor and my sons John & Archy Cowans executors to this my last Will and Testament and I do hereby revoke any former Will by me heretofore made as Witness to my hand & seal this 9th day of February in the year of our Lord 1789.
- Jn. Cowan signed sealed and acknowledged in presence of Isaac Herbert, Mary Herbert, Isabel Walton
- Isabella=_Walton (probably a daughter in law who has remarried, which implies an otherwise unnamed son.)