For an overview of reviewing source pages, see Source Page Review Guide.
Level of Complexity = Low to Medium
Reviewing biography sources is generally fairly straightforward. Sources categorized as Subject: Biography include autobiographies, biographies, collections of short biographies, and diaries and journals in some cases.
Some areas to consider:
- Biographical collections (i.e. "Famous People of Somewhere") tend to be regional in scope. Review the places covered for accuracy.
- Many biography sources are out of copyright and alternative repositories can be found online.
- Some sources will be classed in error as biographies; consider whether the source should instead be a Family Tree/History subject or an Obituaries subject. These can be gray areas; it may be that adding categories to the text box is a better way to handle other subject groupings that the source should be a part of.
- There aren't any biography-specific categories [that I'm aware of], so there often are no categories to add to these pages.
- When I review smaller, localized biography collections, I sometimes include a list of the persons covered (from the table of contents) in the text box. This allows sources to show up in the results if a keyword search is used. See example links.
Biography Source Examples