Place talk:Sutton, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States

Manchaug text [11 July 2011]

I moved the text below from the main place page. It was copied directly from History of the town of Sutton, Massachusetts, from 1704 to 1876, which would need to be cited. Also, it appears the text concerns Place:Manchaug, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States specifically, and would be better suited to that page. Lastly, in the future, please retain important templates such as source-fhlc on pages when you are adding your own text. --Jennifer (JBS66) 19:12, 11 July 2011 (EDT)

"The village of Manchaug (as also the pond) derives its name from a noted Indian chief who was drowned in the pond now known by that name, and is situated upon the north branch of Mumford river, a tributary of the Blackstone. Its hydraulic power is derived from this stream, which is, in reality, the outflow of a chain of ponds lying within a radins of four or five miles, and covering an area of one thousand acres, nearly. Among the number, may be mentioned Manchaug pond, Douglas reservoir and Stevens pond, which, in addition to being fed by perennial springs, have a large and increasing supply from other extensive sheets of water. The extent of country drained is estimated as follows: Douglas reservoir, six to seven thousand acres; Manchaug reservoir, three thousand to three thousand five hundred acres, and Stevens reservoir, oue thousand five hundred acres. The quantity of power derived is attributed to the springs alluded to, and the great and rapid fall of the river, which in less than one-fourth of a mile is eighty-three feet. The remarkable advantages of this stream as a motive power have been increased by building a dam at the outlet of each of these ponds or reservoirs, which give the water an additional fall of several feet.

It was about the beginning of the year 1826 that a number of gentlemen from Providence, Rhode Island, on their way to Worcester and Boston, conceived the idea of utilizing this stream for the purpose of manufacturing. Upon a more extensive examination and inquiry, they found that the most eligible site for commencing operations was the land at that time owned by Aaron Elliot, who carried on the business of manufacturing scythes by hand, and upon the completion of a dozen, would take them on foot to Boston and Worcester for sale, returning in the same way. Readers will readily understand that this was before the introduction of steamboats and railroads.

After many interviews with Mr. Elliot a sale was effected, and in January 1826, the deed conveying forty-eight and one-half acres was passed from Aaron Elliot and his wife, Susan Elliot, to Jonathan Congdon, Randall H. Green and Samuel Congdon (merchants), all of the city of Providence, State of Rhode Island. This land was all clear or pasture land. It was bounded nearly as follows: Beginning at the bridge which crosses the river at the lower part of the village, on the road from Douglas to Sutton, and running easterly by the river to land of Simeon Morse, and northerly twenty-six and three-quarters rods; then westerly nineteen rods to said road, crossing the same, and by said road to land of Enos Buxton, and by land of Euos Buxton one hundred and seven rods, then southerly eighty-nine rods, and then easterly forty-nine and three-quarters rods to bridge or place of beginning.

We are more explicit in regard to these boundaries because they are the nucleus of this manufacturing enterprise. There was purchased at the same time an additional tract of woodland, said to contain about fifty acres, of the same parties, and on the twenty-sixth day of May following, there was purchased by the same parties, of Simeon and Azula Morse, thirty-eight and one-half acres adjoining the above mentioned property, and on the twenty-fifth day of January 1827, still another purchase was made of Darius Putnam of twenty acres.

Matters beginning to assume the aspect of a determined manufacturing business, we find that Arnold Congdon was admitted as a partner in the business.

'The lower mill, as it was then called, but as termed at the present day number one mill, was drawing to completion, as was also the upper or number two stone mill, as it is now designated. The wooden mill, which stands on the opposite side of the road from the number one mill, was completed the following year. Theodore and Luther Stone were the master masons, and Archelaus Stone the master carpenter. The number one or lower mill, when completed, was arranged as follows: The first floor was devoted to carding, and the cards in use at that time were what are termed twenty inch— thirty-six inch are used at the present day; the second floor to spinning and dressing, and the third floor to weaving.The old wooden mill, or as it is termed at the present day the "Bee Hive," had dressers on the first floor and fortyeight looms on the second floor. The upp9r or number two' "