Wrangle is a village in the Boston Borough of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated approximately 9 miles (14 km) northeast of the town of Boston. The population of Wrangle civil parish in 2001 was 1,265.
The village lies on western side of The Wash, on the broad bank of marine silt left by the great tidal creeks which formed, predominantly during the Bronze Age, about 2,500 years ago. To seaward, the saltmarsh has accreted over the centuries, a process hastened by artificial enclosure for pasture. As this progressed, the tide no longer flowed off the marsh twice a day to keep Wrangle Haven open. With its silting, the main feature of medieval Wrangle was lost. It had been the third-biggest harbour on this coast, after Swineshead (Bicker Haven) and Boston (The Haven). (This describes a very early, possibly pre-Domesday, situation.)
Wrangle Hall was the seat of the Reade family, who resided there from the 14th century until the late 17th century. A large part of the house was taken down about 1806, and the remainder was modernised about 25 years later. Traditionally there was a chapel here, the remains of which survived in a field opposite the hall in the 18th century. This is probably the St Peter's Chapel, Wrangle, mentioned in 1342. The present Wrangle Hall is modern, built on the site of the previous building which was demolished around 1935.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.