- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Wolvercote is a village that is now part of the City of Oxford, England. It is about 3 miles (5 km) northwest of the city centre, on the northern edge of Wolvercote Common, which is itself north of Port Meadow and adjoins the River Thames.
The Domesday Book of 1086 lists the village as "Ulfgarcote" ('cottage of Woolgar'; or 'Woolgar's place'). The toponym had mutated to "Wolvercote" by 1185.