Place:Woodwalton, Huntingdonshire, England

Watchers


NameWoodwalton
Alt namesWaltunesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 141
Wood Waltonsource: Getty Vocabulary Program
TypeVillage
Coordinates52.417°N 0.217°W
Located inHuntingdonshire, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Woodwalton – in Huntingdonshire (now part of Cambridgeshire), England – is a village near Abbots Ripton south west of Ramsey. The civil parish of Wood Walton is spread over a wide area, the main village dissected by the East Coast Main Line. To the north of the village in the area known as "Church End" stands the (now redundant) parish church of St Andrew.

Further north are the earthworks of Woodwalton Castle, a motte-and-bailey castle which formerly held the manor of the parish. In 1886 a hoard of Roman coins was dug up in the parish. The village stands at the edge of Woodwalton Fen, an area of special scientific interest.[1]

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Woodwalton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.