|Alt names||Wentrigeham||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 309|
|Wentrigham||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 309|
|Linton||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Village, Civil parish|
|Located in||East Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
|Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which the parish was situated|
|Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district in which it is now located|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: Wintringham should not be confused with Winteringham in Lincolnshire.
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Wintringham is a village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. It is near the A64 road and east of Malton.
The Yorkshire Wolds Way National Trail and the Centenary Way, long distance footpaths pass through the village. The vanished hamlet of Linton in the southeast of Wintringham parish was probably the birthplace of Lady Margaret Hoby, author of the earliest extant diary of a woman in English.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Wintringham was originally an ancient parish in Buckrose Wapentake in the East Riding of Yorkshire. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. In 1866 both Wintringham and its township of Knapton (near Malton) became civil parishes. In 1894 they each became part of the Norton Rural District of the East Riding. In 1935 part of Wintringham parish was transferred to Scampston parish.
In 1974 rural districts were abolished and the border between the East Riding of Yorkshire and the North Riding of Yorkshire was realigned. The North Riding changed its name to North Yorkshire.
Since 1974 Wintringham has been in North Yorkshire, specifically within the Ryedale District.
- GENUKI on Wintringham.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Wintringham.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Wintringham provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps of the East Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- For a discussion of where to find Archive Offices in Yorkshire, see GENUKI.
- Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.
Categories: East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Wintringham, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England