|Name||Whitchurch on Thames|
|Alt names||Whitchurch||source: alternate name|
|Whitchurch Hill||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Oxfordshire, England|
|See also||Reading Hundred, Berkshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Langtree Hundred, Oxfordshire, England||ancient county division in which it was also located|
|Goring Rural, Oxfordshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|South Oxfordshire District, Oxfordshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
|There are 8 different parishes named Whitchurch around England and Wales--according to the 2011 UK census. Care should be taken in selecting the right one.
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Whitchurch on Thames is a village and civil parish on the Oxfordshire bank of the River Thames, about 5.5 miles (9 km) northwest of Reading, Berkshire. The civil parish includes Whitchurch Hill. Opposite Whitchurch on the Berkshire bank is the village of Pangbourne.
Since the 16th century Whitchurch has had a weir and flash lock on the Thames to manage water levels for navigation. In 1787 the flash lock was replaced with a pound lock, Whitchurch Lock.
The original Whitchurch Toll Bridge between Whitchurch and Pangbourne was built in 1792. The current structure, still privately owned, is the fourth on the site, the bridge having been reconstructed in 1853, 1902 and 2014. The current toll for a car to cross is 60 pence.
Categories: Oxfordshire, England | Whitchurch on Thames, Oxfordshire, England | Reading Hundred, Berkshire, England | Langtree Hundred, Oxfordshire, England | Goring Rural, Oxfordshire, England | South Oxfordshire District, Oxfordshire, England