Whaplode is a village and civil parish in the South Holland District of Lincolnshire, England. It is just west of the Prime Meridian. In the UK census of 2001 the population of the civil parish was 3,505.
Because of the historical development of the area, other local places use 'Whaplode' as part of their name. When the parishes were originally laid out, a thousand or so years ago, in order to give each enough resources to provide a living, they were made long and narrow. In this way each parish had its share of marsh for pasture and perhaps salt making, townland for arable farming, and fen for fowling, thatch and turf. As the wetlands were reclaimed other settlements were made in the newly inhabitable places and these needed to be distinguished from the main village. In Whaplode parish these outlying places are Whaplode St Catherine and Whaplode Drove. The village used to have a railway station to the south of the village on the former Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway.
In old documents the village it is sometimes spelt Whapload. The main village lies on the marine silt ridge, known as the "Townlands", which rises between the former salt marsh and the former fen to be found around The Wash. This ridge follows the A151 road. The nearest neighbouring settlements are Moulton and Holbeach.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.