Wellingore is a village and civil parish in the North Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated on the A607 road, approximately 12 miles (19 km) south from Lincoln. It conjoins the village of Navenby to the north. The Viking Way (long distance footpath) traverses through the village, passing from the side of the cliff edge to Ermine Street.
In 1801 there was a resident population of 559, which had risen to 943 (the maximum recorded in census years) in 1861. In the 1971 UK Census there were 618 people recorded and in 2001, 719.
The parish church (Church of England) is dedicated to All Saints.
RAF Wellingore opened in 1935 and operated for ten years until it was decommissioned in 1945. It originally opened in 1917 as RFC (Royal Flying Corps) Wellingore Heath.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.