Place:Weissport, Carbon, Pennsylvania, United States

Watchers


NameWeissport
TypeBorough
Coordinates40.829°N 75.701°W
Located inCarbon, Pennsylvania, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Weissport is a borough in Carbon County, Pennsylvania, United States. The town was founded in 1792 by Col. Jacob Weiss. This particular area was located between Lehighton, Parryville, and Longrun. Soon after the town itself was established and the first wooden bridge over the river to the town was built in 1805, along with the first post office, taverns, banks, and stores all by 1812. Also, within the first twenty years this town was established as a vital part of the canal industry. Their vital link was in the restoration, building, and repairing of canal boats along the Lehigh Canal which ran parallel to the Lehigh River. By 1832, Lewis Weiss began building boats for the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company and the Morris Canal & Banking Company.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Weissport, Pennsylvania. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.