Wayne is a city in Wayne County in the state of Michigan, west of Detroit. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 17,593. Ford Motor Company has two plants here; Wayne Stamping & Assembly and the Michigan Assembly Plant, formerly known as Michigan Truck Plant. The Michigan Assembly Plant began manufacturing the third generation, North American Ford Focus on December 14, 2010.
As of 2006, Downtown Wayne began to undergo a revitalization & growth program, with the assistance of Andrews University - Urban Design Studio. Completed projects have included the new fire station on Wayne Road, the new police station on Michigan Avenue, and the new Department of Public Works on Forest. Plans in the program includes adding Wayne as a Transit Department train stop on Washington Street.
In 2006, the Downtown Development Authority launched several beautification projects including streetscape and parking lot improvements and three City-operated hiking trails which border the city.
The Historical Museum, which maintains more than 100 exhibits, is located at One Town Square in downtown Wayne.
The two-story building was constructed in 1878 and officially became the Wayne Historical Museum. In July 1963, the City Council adopted the Historical Ordinance that created the Historical Commission, which oversees the collection and preservation of Wayne's History.
On March 19, 1985, the City Council approved the site plan recommended by the Historical Commission for the expansion and renovation of the historical Museum. The money to fund this project was a result of Historical Fund Requests by Floyd Warner, Clara Hosie and Mr. and Mrs. Peter E. Brender. The new addition, dedicated to the public on September 4, 1986, did not cost the taxpayers any money. The State of Michigan Historical Marker was dedicated to the public October 25, 1987.