Place:Upton St. Leonards, Gloucestershire, England

NameUpton St. Leonards
Alt namesOptunesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 115
Upton St Leonardssource: Domesday Book (1985) p 115; Gazetteer of Great Britain (1999) p 734
Upton St. Leonardssource: Getty Vocabulary Program
Upton-St. Leonardsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates51.833°N 2.195°W
Located inGloucestershire, England
See alsoDudstone and Kings Barton (hundred), Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was located
Stroud (district), Gloucestershire, Englanddistrict municipality of which it has been a part since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Upton St. Leonards is a village in the English county of Gloucestershire. Forming part of the district of Stroud it is a mile or so north of the A46 road between Stroud and Cheltenham.

Upton St. Leonards was part of the ecclesiastical and civil parish of Gloucester St. Mary-de-Lode. In the past century and a half the borders of Upton St. Leonards have changed several times as it gained or lost acreage to its neighbouring parishes. The most significant of these was absorbing the whole of Prinknash Park in 1935. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)

A 19th century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Upton St. Leonards from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"UPTON-ST. LEONARD, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Gloucester; 3 miles SE of Gloucester [railway] station. It has a post-office under Gloucester. Acres: 2,975. Real property: £7,829. Population: 1,035. Houses: 216. The property is much subdivided. Bowden Hall, St. Leonard's Court, and Saint Bridge House are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £175. Patron: the Bishop of [Gloucester and Bristol]. The church was improved, and the chancel rebuilt, in 1850. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a fine national school."

Registration Districts

Research Tips

Online sources which may also be helpful:

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Upton St Leonards. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.