Trumansburg is a village in Tompkins County, New York, United States. The population was 1,797 at the 2010 census. The name is a variant spelling of the surname of the founder, Abner Treman. (The family routinely spelled it several different ways.) The village's application for a post office preserved one of them.
The village was incorporated in 1872, in the former Central New York Military Tract.
The village was originally named "Tremaine's Village," after an early settler, Abner Tremaine (Tremain, Treman or Truman), who was granted the land for his service in the American Revolutionary War. The village was built around a cascade on the creek that provided power for grain mills.
In the 19th century Trumansburg was dominated by Col. Hermon Camp, an officer in the War of 1812 who settled in what was to become the village. For many years he was the local postmaster, and founded a bank, now the Tompkins Trust Company, the largest bank in the county. His imposing and elegant Federal style house remains the largest in the village. The Hermon Camp House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Also listed on the National Register of Historic Places are the First Presbyterian Church of Ulysses, William Austin House, Indian Fort Road Site, and Second Baptist Society of Ulysses.
In the latter half of the 20th century, as the quality of the road between Trumansburg and Ithaca improved and "country living" became more fashionable, the village became home to many faculty and staff at nearby Cornell University and Ithaca College, as well as many musicians. Between 1961 and 1970, Robert Moog built electronic music equipment including Theremins and his famous synthesizers in a downtown storefront.