Place:Trent, Dorset, England

Watchers


NameTrent
Alt namesTrentasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 96
Trentesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 96
TypeVillage
Coordinates50.95°N 2.567°W
Located inDorset, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Trent is a village and civil parish in northwest Dorset, England, situated in the Yeo valley northwest of Sherborne and four miles northeast of Yeovil. It was formerly in Somerset. The village has a population of 321.

The parish was part of the hundred of Horethorne.

Charles II of England stayed at Trent House for several days during his escape to France in 1651.

The Trent Estate is owned by the Ernest Cook Trust, purchased by Ernest Cook in 1935 as the first of a number of English estates he purchased for their protection. The village has good architecture from the Medieval, Tudor, and later periods, with many trees in the background. The church of St Andrew is architecturally interesting and the lateral tower is topped by one of the three ancient stone spires of Dorset. The church was built in the 13th century and enlarged in the 14th and 15th centuries. Restoration and refitting was done about 1840 in a pre-Victorian way. Features of interest include the rood screen, the pulpit of continental origin, the 16th century bench ends and the old painted glass in the east window.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Trent, Dorset. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.