A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Toft and Lound from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1887:
Note that he states that Toft and Lound was part of Witham on the Hill ecclesiastical parish. Early records for Toft and Lound will be found under Witham on the Hill.
Toft is a small village in the original township of Toft and Lound that was made a civil parish in 1866. In 1931 Toft and Lound joined with the neighbouring parish of Manthorpe to become the civil parish of Toft with Lound and Manthorpe. As can be seen from Bartholomew's Gazetteer quote above the link between the three settlements had been strong since at least the latter half of the 19th century. Since 1974 the combined parish has been located in South Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England.
It is situated approximately 2 miles (3 km) southwest from Bourne on the A6121. The village gave its name to the Toft Tunnel on the former Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway (closed in 1959), which ran about 1 mile (1.6 km) to the north. This was the only tunnel on that railway, which ran for the most part over the Fens. The tunnel is actually in Lound, though still in the parish. The East Glen river flows through the village, also to the south.
The north of the parish includes the Deserted medieval village of Bowthorpe, now a single farm, which gives its name to the Bowthorpe Oak.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.