- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Tilney with Islington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "TILNEY-CUM-ISLINGTON, a parish, with a village, in the [registration] district of Wisbeach and county of Norfolk; 2½ miles SW by S of Clenchwarton [railway] station, and 4 SW of [King's] Lynn. Post town, [King's] Lynn. Acres: 1,625. Real property: £3,598. Population: 295. Houses: 61. The manor belongs to R. Bagge, Esq. Islington Hall is the seat of Mrs. Hulton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £110. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is good."
In 1935 Tilney with Islington was merged into the neighbouring parish of Tilney St. Lawrence.
"The village of Tilney St Lawrence did not exist in its own right at the time of the Domesday Book although the settlement of Islington, which lies in the very northeast corner of this parish, is listed. Today very little is left of the settlement of Islington, which is thought to have been a populous and a valuable Late Saxon settlement, with a number of salt houses and a church. This church is likely to have been the present day St Mary's Church, which lies redundant and largely ruined. By the late 13th century, Tilney St Lawrence had overtaken Islington as the main settlement within the parish and had a church dedicated to St Lawrence. (Source:Wikipedia)
- GENUKI provides a list of references for Tilney with Islington (Tilney cum Islington). Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
- GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch:
- England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997
- England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812
- England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941
- England, Norfolk Marriage Bonds, 1557-1915
- England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901
Categories: Norfolk, England | Tilney with Islington, Norfolk, England | Freebridge Marshland Hundred, Norfolk, England | Marshland Rural, Norfolk, England | Tilney St. Lawrence, Norfolk, England | King's Lynn and West Norfolk District, Norfolk, England