Place:Tilney with Islington, Norfolk, England

NameTilney with Islington
Alt namesEsingatunasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 191
Ilsinghatunasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 191
Ilsinghetunasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 191
Isingetunasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 191
Isinghetunasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 191
Tilney-cum-Islingtonsource: Family History Library Catalog
Tilney cum Islington
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates52.685°N 0.321°E
Located inNorfolk, England     ( - 1935)
See alsoFreebridge Marshland Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
Marshland Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Tilney St. Lawrence, Norfolk, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1935
King's Lynn and West Norfolk District, Norfolk, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Tilney with Islington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"TILNEY-CUM-ISLINGTON, a parish, with a village, in the [registration] district of Wisbeach and county of Norfolk; 2½ miles SW by S of Clenchwarton [railway] station, and 4 SW of [King's] Lynn. Post town, [King's] Lynn. Acres: 1,625. Real property: £3,598. Population: 295. Houses: 61. The manor belongs to R. Bagge, Esq. Islington Hall is the seat of Mrs. Hulton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £110. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is good."

In 1935 Tilney with Islington was merged into the neighbouring parish of Tilney St. Lawrence.

"The village of Tilney St Lawrence did not exist in its own right at the time of the Domesday Book although the settlement of Islington, which lies in the very northeast corner of this parish, is listed. Today very little is left of the settlement of Islington, which is thought to have been a populous and a valuable Late Saxon settlement, with a number of salt houses and a church. This church is likely to have been the present day St Mary's Church, which lies redundant and largely ruined. By the late 13th century, Tilney St Lawrence had overtaken Islington as the main settlement within the parish and had a church dedicated to St Lawrence. (Source:Wikipedia)

Research Tips

  • GENUKI provides a list of references for Tilney with Islington (Tilney cum Islington). Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
  • GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch: