Place:Thorpe-Parva, Norfolk, England

Alt namesThorpe Parvasource: A Vision of Britain through Time, GENUKI
TypeParish (ancient), Deserted settlement
Coordinates52.3664°N 1.1713°E
Located inNorfolk, England
See alsoDiss Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
Scole, Norfolk, Englandparish that took over the area of Thorpe-Parva.
source: Family History Library Catalog

NOTE: In addition to Thorpe-Parva, Norfolk contains the settlements of Thorpe Abbots, Thorpe Row, Thorpe Market, Thorpe-next-Haddiscoe and Thorpe St. Andrew.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Thorpe-Parva from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"THORPE-PARVA, a parish in Depwade [registration] district, Norfolk; 1¾ mile E of Diss [railway] station. Post town: Scole. Acres: 349. Real property: £487. Population: 21. Houses: 4. The manor belongs to G. H. Wilson, Esq. The living is a rectory, annexed to Billingford."

A Vision of Britain through Time states that Thorpe-Parva was abolished as a parish in the middle of the fifteenth century.

GENUKI says that the parish church was dedicated to the Virgin Mary, but is now in ruins. Residents after the beginning of civil resigistration in 1837 should be found in Depwade Registration District. The parish is adjacent to the parishes of Billingford (near Scole) and Thorpe Abbots. Billingford was absorbed into Scole parish in 1935 and it would appear that Thorpe-Parva already had links with Scole by that date. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time).

Wikipedia includes Thorpe-Parva in a list of deserted settlements in Norfolk.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI provides a list of references for Thorpe-Parva. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.