Originally approved as a neighbourhood within Yeerongpilly by Queensland Place Names Board 11 August 1975 . Boundaries amended by the Minister for Natural Resources and Minister for Mines 29 November 2002. Boundaries amended by the Minister for Natural Resources and Water and Minister Assisting the Premier in North Queensland on 18 January 2008. Tennyson was approved as a suburb name by Governor in Council 27 March 1992 . Name apparently given by a local resident Edgar W. Walker ( - ) late 1880s. Formerly the area was known as Softstone Pocket. Walker admired the work of the then Poet Laureate Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1809-1892). Source : The State of Queensland (Department of Environment and Resource Management) 2010.
Queensland Government home page