Place:Talaton, Devon, England

Watchers
NameTalaton
Alt namesTaletonasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 87
Taletonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 87
TypeVillage
Coordinates50.783°N 3.317°W
Located inDevon, England
See alsoHayridge Hundred, Devon, Englandhundred in which the hamlet was located
Honiton Rural, Devon, Englandrural district in which it was situated 1894-1974
East Devon District, Devon, Englanddistrict municipality in which it is now located
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Talaton is a village and a civil parish in the English county of Devon. It lies approximately 6 miles to the west of Honiton, 3 miles to the north of Ottery St. Mary, 2 miles to the west of Feniton and 2 miles to the east of Whimple. The parish of Talaton covers an area of 965 hectares (2,384 acres). Its total population was estimated to be 590 in 2012.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Talaton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"TALATON, a parish, with a village, in Honiton district, Devon; on the London, Yeovil, and Exeter railway, between Ottery-Road and Whimple [railway] stations. Post town, Ottery-St. Mary, under Exeter. Acres: 2,365. Real property: £3,306. Population: 437. Houses: 93. The manor, with Escott house, belongs to Sir J. Kenaway, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value: £518. Patron: the Rev. L. P. Welland. The church was restored in 1860. Part of Escott chapelry is within the limits. There are a national school, and charities £18. Bishop Sprat, who died in 1713, was a native."

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Talaton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.