Place:Swineshead, Bedfordshire, England

Watchers


NameSwineshead
Alt namesSuineshefetsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 30
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates52.267°N 0.45°W
Located inBedfordshire, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Swineshead is a civil parish in the borough of Bedford in the county of Bedfordshire, England.

History

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

The parish of Swineshead is recorded as Suineshefet (1086), Swynesheved (13th century), Swineshead (16th century). It was an exclave of the county of Huntingdonshire, and surrounded by Bedfordshire, until 1888 or 1896, when it was transferred to Bedfordshire. The parish was an exclave because it was within the great manor of Kimbolton, once the property of Harold, the last Saxon king of England, and part of this manor was held to be in Huntingdonshire though separated from the rest of the county by about half a mile at the nearest point. Thus although King Harold's lands were granted to different persons by William the Conqueror, Swineshead and Stonely both passed to Fitz-Piers and both remained in the county of Huntingdonshire. At the time of the Domesday survey, land in Kimbolton and in Swineshead was held by William de Warenne, and his influence may have been used to keep his property in the same county.

Swineshead was enclosed by Act of Parliament in 1803.

The parish was part of Eaton Socon rural district from 1896 to 1934, then becoming part of Bedford rural district until 1974.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Swineshead, Bedfordshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.