Sutton at Hone is a village in the borough of Dartford in Kent, England. It is located on the River Darent, just over two miles south of Dartford, and adjoins the village of South Darenth in the Sevenoaks District. The village of Hextable (redirected here) is within the parish of Sutton at Hone.
Sutton-at-Hone has a long history. A commandery of the Knights Hospitallers of the Order of Saint John of Jerusalem was established in Sutton-at-Hone in 1199, and is now the National Trust property St. John's Jerusalem. The church of St John the Baptist was in existence by 1077. It was rebuilt in the 14th century, and substantially rebuilt again after a fire in 1615. The parish of Sutton at Hone was part of the Axstane Hundred and its successor Dartford Rural District. The chapelry of Swanley in the parish was formed into a separate parish of Swanley in 1955.
Lathe of Sutton at Hone
The Lathe of Sutton-at-Hone included a large part of Kent and a lot of present day southeast London including the present-day boroughs of Dartford, Bexley, Greenwich, Bromley, Lewisham, and Sevenoaks.
The Lathe of Sutton consisted of the following Hundreds:
The village of Sutton at Hone is in Axstane Hundred.
Sutton at Hone lathe was the most westerly of the lathes into which Kent was divided. The former boundary of the Lathe with the rest of Kent is now, with minor deviations, the boundaries of Dartford and Sevenoaks with the rest of Kent.
Although not formally abolished, hundreds and lathes had fallen out of use by the end of the 19th century, although the Lathe of Sutton was mentioned in the London Gazette as late as 1899.