Place:Stonnall, Staffordshire, England

Watchers


NameStonnall
TypeUnknown
Located inStaffordshire, England
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Stonnall is a village in Staffordshire, England, close to Shenstone and Aldridge. It is divided into Upper Stonnall and Lower Stonnall, Upper Stonnall being the bulk of the modern village, and Lower Stonnall the more rural farms and cottages to the east of Wallheath Lane. The western boundary of the village is formed by the Chester Road, a road that dates back to the Middle Ages, Upper Stonnall being the closer to Aldridge and Lower Stonnall to Shenstone, so called due to the difference in height.

The name Stonnall is originally derived from the Saxon words "stan halh" meaning stony valley. Through the ages it was called Stanahala in 1143, Stanhala in 1167 and Stonhal during Henry III's reign.[1]

Stonnall is part of the Lichfield district, formed on April 1, 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972. Prior to this it was part of the Lichfield Rural District. It falls within Tamworth constituency.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Stonnall. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.