The dignity and privileges of the City of Lichfield are vested in the parish council of the 14 km² Lichfield civil parish. The non-metropolitan district of Lichfield covers nearly 25 times this area and its local authority is Lichfield District Council.
The town of Burntwood also makes up a major part of the Lichfield district.
Lichfield was a city and a county, in and of itself, until 1889. To conduct as thorough genealogical research as possible in this city, note that it possessed all of the following parishes--
- St Chad (1635)
- St Mary (1566)
- St Michael (1574)
- The Cathedral (1660)
For an excellent 1848 historical summary on Lichfield, see Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England.