Fremont was a new name given to Lancaster in 1847. It was named for General John C. Fremont, the great western explorer. It held the name of Fremont from 1847 to 1857. At that time it was changed to Stockton. (Missouri (16), p. 174; A.M. Weaver) - Source: Meyers, Robert Lee. "Place Names In The Southwest Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1930.