Place:Stapleford Abbotts, Essex, England

Watchers
NameStapleford Abbotts
Alt namesStaplefordasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 105
Staplefortsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 105
Stapleford-Abbotssource: Family History Library Catalogue
Stapleford-Abbotts
Stapleford Abbots
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates51.65°N 0.183°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoOngar Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Epping and Ongar Rural, Essex, England|rural district of which it was part 1955-1974
Epping Forest (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Stapleford Abbotts is a village and civil parish in the Epping Forest district of Essex, approximately 9 km (5.6 mi) SW of Ongar, 7 km (4.3 mi) N of Romford and 8 km (5.0 mi) SSE of Epping. The whole parish is within the M25 motorway or outer ring road of London. The village covers 957 hectares and had a population of 959 in 2001.

The parish was part of the Ongar Rural District from 1894 until 1955, the Epping and Ongar Rural District from 1955 to 1974, and since 1974 it has been located in the Epping Forest District of Essex.

Geography

The parish is mostly rural and agricultural with a scattering of farms and cottages. The northern boundary of the parish is formed by the River Roding and the remainder of the parish is crossed by a number of streams that feed into it or form the headwater of the River Rom. As a result of geology the terrain is hilly and 28–90m above sea level with most development at between 35m and 80m.

The village itself consists of a straggle of mostly 20th-century housing stretching for about a mile along the elevated Romford to Ongar road from the boundary with Havering-Atte-Bower. The medieval church (largely rebuilt in the 19th century) is situated in a relatively isolated position a further mile away from what is now the village, reflecting the fact that there was no single nucleus of settlement until the 20th century.

Aside from the village of Stapleford Abbotts the parish includes the hamlets of Bournebridge, Nuper's Hatch and a small part of Passingford Bridge.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Stapleford Abbotts. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
==
Fundraiser
Help fund new features!